My new hen STINKS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rusty_038, Jul 2, 2010.

1. rusty_038

rusty_038 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2007
    Gardena, CA
    We added a new Barred Rock hen to our family and she smells like a really stinky dog! She is roughly 5-7 mo. old. We thought that because she had been raised in cages, that she didn't learn how to take a dirt bath. She presumably has learned from our other hen and has been seen rolling in the dirt, but she still stinks. For some background: She was sick with a respiratory infection and was very underweight when we got her. We put her on Baytril for 7 days and she responded well. She regained her appetite and was breathing better, but she still has a runny nose and, at times, flicks a lot of snot out. She is gaining weight and runs around and plays a lot. She is a really loveable bird and will sit in my lap, but the smell sometimes makes my eyes water. Any ideas on what is causing the smell and how we can remedy it?

rusty_038

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    IF i remember correctly.. CRD will make the bird smell bad..
    And if the bird had a respitory problem in the past....
    not a good sign..

3. rusty_038

rusty_038 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2007
    Gardena, CA
    What is CRD?

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Google it..or do a search here on BYC... i dont know much about it. sorry.
    Chronic Respitory Disease= CRD

5. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Sounds like it might be "Infectious Coryza"

-the most telltale symptom is the unmistakable odor that is generated-

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OOh! Thats the one i was thinking of then!!!!!!!!!!!... SORRY Rusty... [​IMG]

I knew one of the diseases was known for the bad odor.... Thanks Kyblue!!! [​IMG]

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i agree with redhen sounds like coryza to me to

8. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Did you seperate her from the rest od the flock for 30 days? If not it is possible that your other birds have been exposed.

9. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    I see this post is recent....MEEEE TOOOOO!! I just got a new 3-4 mo. old hen and linked the odor to the wettness that comes from her nose...she doesnt always smell- just off and on....guess I will research coryza...unless there is any other advice????

The odor is not doggy though, more like a squished beetle smell...if anyone has stepped on a big beetle or played with one as a kid you know the bitter odor they release....???

Can a vet test for Coryza??? I hear people cull their birds!!??? I only have these 3 chicks and I would liek to eventually get more birds...but I am gathering this means I shouldnt ever have more birds unless I rid myself of these ones???

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sounds like Coryza to me too. You need to get her separated ASAP. Start her on Tylan50, but I am pretty sure that she will be a carrier, and personally I would cull her. It's just not worth infecting your entire flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by