My new hen wan't lay eggs

Dimitar

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2016
Macedonia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I have 7 yang (4 months) New Hampshire Red (6 hens and 1 rooster) and one 15 months [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Dominique hen. Dominique is new in the flock, 8 days now. She won't lay eggs.
How long should I wait for her to start laying.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]This is 3 weeks old video from my back yard. Before I changed my big rooster for hen [/COLOR]

I feed them with 1/2 hen laying food mix and 1/2 wheat. I let them eat as much they like. Plus I give them vegetables from my garden and grass from my neighbors.

Last edited:
You need to be patient. Your new hen is quite likely both getting used to her new home and fitting into the pecking order and not quite at point of lay yet due to being so young. Time will solve both issues.

Hello,

I have 7 yang (4 months) New Hampshire Red (6 hens and 1 rooster) and one 15 months [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Dominique hen. Dominique is new in the flock, 8 days now. She won't lay eggs.
How long should I wait for her to start laying.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]This is 3 weeks old video from my back yard. Before I changed my big rooster for hen [/COLOR]

I feed them with 1/2 hen laying food mix and 1/2 weed. I let them eat as much they like. Plus I give them vegetables from my garden and grass from my neighbors.
What does "1/2 weed" mean?

Azygous makes a good point about the new 15 month old......I'll add that she also may be close to molting at that age and this time of year.

What does "1/2 weed" mean?

Azygous makes a good point about the new 15 month old......I'll add that she also may be close to molting at that age and this time of year.
Sorry, wheat.
I mix wheat with hen laying food mix on ratio one half of each

Last edited:
She is in a strange place and it takes time for her to get back in her routine. Do you give them osyster shell? They need this too?

I cant find layer feed without gmo soy here. All soy here is gmo.
I am new and still explore for food and trying to come to organic food or at leаst non gmo that will be balanced. If there is some recipe that is without soy please share it with me.
I can find organic (wheat, barley, oats, corn, rye).

In between I can switch to 100% layer feed and to sprout wheat for extra protein bust.

New hen is becoming part of the flock. She is the boss, but is mingling with other hens without any problems.

More power to you for wanting to go all organic/non GMO. As much as I'd love to, I don't have the time/energy to do so (Luckily we have a family owned and operated mill here that makes its own blend of high quality poultry feed).

I did come across this website though, which utilizes sprouted wheat as you have suggested as well as peas for extra protein. She also purchases all the ingredients on Amazon, so if you couldn't find something in your area, you'd know where to get it. I would be sure to offer Oyster shell in addition to ensure high enough calcium.

And, as the others have suggested, it may take her a month or more to settle in enough to lay eggs (if she doesn't molt instead)

Good luck.

http://thefrugalchicken.com/organic-homemade-chicken-feed/

Back
Top Bottom