My new hens, please critique/teach!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cariboujaguar, May 8, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Okay, mind you they are hatchery stock (Stromberg), are just 1 yr and only $10 each, which I thought was a pretty good deal to get started in Marans (am I right?) so here they are, in no particular order...

Blue band hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue and black band hens
    [​IMG]

Blue and yellow band hens
    [​IMG]

Yellow band hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White band hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a red band hen but I didn't get a clear shot of her (they are nervous...)

I haven't named them yet... any critisism on them, show quality-wise. I know they most likely are not SQ but I want to learn, so it would be awesome to do so on chickens I can see and touch... They are Cucko Marans according to the hatchery...
    thanks!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Very nice hens - are they laying for you? As for SQ, probably not - and if you're planning to show or work toward an SQ quality flock, get some birds from a breeder. But those will be a great little flock for pretty dark eggs!

3. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Thankyou. I know they arn't SQ but I'm trying to learn WHY. I show goats and understod immediately what made a SQ animal... chickens have thrown me for a loop... they all look the same, I want to learn what to look for and how to have a criticle eye...

4. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    could someone lay it out for me per hen, like

hen:

Good:
    level back etc

Bad:
    incorrect color etc

I have noticed that in the last hen her crown or whatever the head dealy is, falls over in the back... and some of them have tail feathers that are seperated which I haven't seen in any show birds, so I'm assuming is undesirable... some have more level backs then others also, a level back is desirable right? Should I even bother with these hens, could any of them possibly be bred for show quality chicks?

5. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Well, I seem to be talking to myself, but I'm excited so I guess I'll post anyhow... My hens laid an egg, dunno which hen, but it's a russet for certain! I'm pretty shocked it's so dark and they are supposedly in the middle of their laying cycle according to the woman and they're hatchery hens... it's a good shape too, I'm so proud [​IMG]

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have no idea about what would be "wrong with them" but they are very great birds and beautiful too. Hopefully Speckledhen comes along soon and can help

7. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    They're beautiful! I don't know anything about show birds but I suspect you could Google and come up with the standard for the breed in which you are interested. If you are showing goats, have you been to chicken shows? Talk with chicken exhibitors. Everyone is happy to talk about their avocation and livestock show people are no different! Good luck.

8. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I plan to make it to a show or two for sure, I also noticed that at the lynden fair here in town show chickens who placed well were selling for $15 or less, must not be a reat market around here? I did look up the breed standard and I don't have enough experience, because all those hens seemed to uphold the standard to me, the only thing I don't understand is this earlobe business, in some it's a whole circle of cartaliage (or w/e the red stuff is called) with feathers in the middle in other hens it doesn't seem to be a whole circle... mot of their backs looked straight (some need a little work) it didn't really say what their chest should look like, their feathers were the right color etc... I just dont have an eye for this, they all look the same and they all look nice to me... I have decided to just give up on SQ, noone seems to want to school me in this... either way I love my chickens and their's always time for SQ someday...

9. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    The Marans of America Club has set their standards. The APA has not accecpted marans yet, but as their website states, they will have to be feather legged.

Marans should be broad, heavy birds, if I remeber right, with white legs. The MAC encourages showing your birds, they cannot win but they will be judged.

Google is your friend, lol. I have Cuckoos, and I love them for egg production.

Cheri

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Someone mentioned me, but I know BRs, not Marans, really. At first glance, I'd say the plumage color isn't great on a couple(they look brownish for some reason?), but the leg color is correct. That's about all I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by