1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new home came with chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dan Gerous, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Dan Gerous

Dan Gerous New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Hello all :)
    My family and I bought a new house with 4.5 acres and inherited chickens, two roosters and five hens. They are immensely friendly and my children and I are in love with them but we know nothing about chickens! So I have become a member in hopes to gain some much needed information. We have a coop for them with straw and will insulate soon for winter. We have heating lamps. They are free outdoors all day and forage. They have access to fresh water all day. I asked a friend and the local feed store and are feeding Lay Mash. They get treats too. Look forward to chatting with you all!
    On another note internet access is fickle here so sometimes I may not respond to comments or suggestions right away!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Click on 'The Learning Center' located at the top of the page and then go to the forums and question away in the appropriate places. Good luck with your new home and birds.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dan Gerous, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community. As sourland said, the Learning Center is the place to visit to pick up valuable poultry knowledge. Best wishes and thanks for joining us. :)

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC!
    Congrats on the new home and chickens! The Learning Center will be of immense help as you begin your chicken journey. And there are numerous forum archives answering almost any question you may have. One thing, you do not need heat lamps for adult birds. Maybe not insulation either. Where do you live?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2 on perusing the learning center.
    Welcome and good luck in this endeavor.

I don't want to overwhelm you but a couple things:
    If all your birds aren't laying eggs (read that as roosters). Don't feed layer feed. It is about 4% calcium and that is too high for birds not building egg shells. An alternative is to feed a grower or all-flock type feed that is 1% calcium and provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container for any birds laying eggs.
    Be careful with treats. While it is a good use of table scraps, the bulk of their diet should be a complete feed.
    If you have space, you may want a few more hens. Usually a 1:10 ratio of roosters to hens works better. The hens can lose back feathers from overbreeding.
    I don't know where you live but normally heat is unnecessary for chickens.
    It has gotten as low as -19 F here and my buildings have big wide open windows with no issues.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. Dan Gerous

Dan Gerous New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Will do :) thank you!

8. Dan Gerous

Dan Gerous New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Thank you! We live in Monkland, Ontario Canada. We have heat lamps but haven`t used them yet (only averaging 0 here). We thought we may need them for our -30 Celsius winters. Perhaps we don`t. I thought insulation may be a good idea. Maybe good ventilation more important first. I will check out the Learning Center and Archives to find out more. Thank you for all your help so far!

9. WitchyCatlady

WitchyCatlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2016
    Colorado
    Our house came with chickens too!

10. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to you, WitchyCatlady as well! If you have time, tell us a little about your chickens and where you live! And as we have told Dan Gerous, take a look at the Learning Center for any info you may need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by