My New Homemade Bator, Compliments Miss Prissy & Joann's Cottage

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenlyn9483, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just finished my first home made incubator! I'm so excited! Now I can hatch my own eggs! I learned about this homemade bator from Joann, She advised me how easy it was and where to find Miss Prissy's Simple Step by step instructions. Take a look.. I have had it running for almost two hours now and it is staying right at 100 Degrees.

Here is the first thing i did, The window, made out of an 8x10 picture glass I got out of an old picture I won at the fair years ago..Never really knew why I kept holding on to it...Now I do...
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

Here is a pic of the lamp put into place and the Thermostat. We used really long wood screws and a plastic drinkin straw as spacers for the thermostat and fan.
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Here is the whole thing before I put the light bulb, wire, water trays and wire in..
    [​IMG][/img]

And here it is finished

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

I used a piece of bitty wire for the bottom instead of hardware cloth because that is what I had at home and it's not a big deal right now. I will make sure that i get some Hardware cloth for the bottom before any eggs get closed to hatching out.......Speakin of EGGS! Now that all I need..My crazy chickens still haven't laid any eggs!

2. southernhen

southernhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Port St. Joe, Florida
    That looks GREAT!!!! [​IMG] See I told you that if I could make one, you could make one...LOL.......now you don't have to wait til your birthday....[​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yay! You did good. How are your temps holding?

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It looks great!! I didn't see any vent holes...they may be there and I just couldn't see them.

You'll need a few ventilation holes in it. In mine I put fairly large ones...about 1/2 inch...on the sides and the top and bottom in each corner. I also put a small one right behind the fan so it can suck in fresh air. Not too big or you'll have trouble keeping the temp high enough!!

5. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks, I have had it set up for about 2.5 hrs and its holding right at 100

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    nice job im getting ready to start a new one im new here but i have done this many times. i need to get offa my rump and start building.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by