My new homemade incubator!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jhatch, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jhatch

jhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Well I decided to build myself a new cabinet incubator, It will hold 3 auto turners totaling 123 large chicken eggs, has a very accurate wafer thermostat, forced air fan, humidity pans and a gqf element. It started out with a little giant element and solid state thermostat but it didn't have enough juice to get the cabinet up to temp very well. So far it seems to work great the eggs are cooking right at 99.5 all day every day. The old wafer thermostat kicks on at 99.3 and off at 99.8, I have 2 dozen black copper marans eggs and 44 of my Rhode Island rooster X Black Sex Link hen eggs. I have some of those babies from earlier this year and they really are growing and maturing fast!!! Anyway I candled some of the eggs and they all had healthy beating embryo's in them!!!:[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    [​IMG]

3. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    That is real nice. [​IMG] What did you buy for materials. Did it cost a lot?

4. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Nice! Is your temp pretty consistent from the top to the bottom of the incubator? I'm having some trouble with that in mine.

5. jhatch

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:It is higher in the upper part where the element and water pan are but everything under the humidity shelf is steady at 99.5 from the top tray to the bottom.

6. jhatch

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:Thanks!!!!The cabinet is made out of 3/4 "MDF density board. Insulates real well and hold the heat inside steady. I painted it white & sealed all the edges with white silicone and used stainless steel angle for the edges and the racks. I'll figure up how much it cost, I'd say $200 in that ball park.
    Jason

7. jhatch

Feb 5, 2009
    I'll try and get a materials list together. The turners were the most expensive part at $42 ea, I only put 2 in there for now but it will hold 3 of them and they are all wired into a series that I can unplug them from the power supply when I put the eggs in the hatching trays.

8. Blubrd

Blubrd Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    It looks great. Did you use any plans or come up with it yourself?

9. jhatch

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:No I built it off my own idea, not much to them so wan't to hard just alil bit of work and supplies.

10. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    At first I thought it was made from a refrigerator. I think that would be an idea too. I have an old one out in the barn.

That is great at 200.00. I am amazed. I paid almost that much for one of the little Styrofoam ones. Have you built a plucker? I think those are neat. What do you have around your door. Is it weather striping or rubber?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by