My new homemade incubator!!

jhatch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Well I decided to build myself a new cabinet incubator, It will hold 3 auto turners totaling 123 large chicken eggs, has a very accurate wafer thermostat, forced air fan, humidity pans and a gqf element. It started out with a little giant element and solid state thermostat but it didn't have enough juice to get the cabinet up to temp very well. So far it seems to work great the eggs are cooking right at 99.5 all day every day. The old wafer thermostat kicks on at 99.3 and off at 99.8, I have 2 dozen black copper marans eggs and 44 of my Rhode Island rooster X Black Sex Link hen eggs. I have some of those babies from earlier this year and they really are growing and maturing fast!!! Anyway I candled some of the eggs and they all had healthy beating embryo's in them!!!:
22454_incubator_001.jpg

22454_boat_020.jpg
22454_boat_019.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Is your temp pretty consistent from the top to the bottom of the incubator? I'm having some trouble with that in mine.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is higher in the upper part where the element and water pan are but everything under the humidity shelf is steady at 99.5 from the top tray to the bottom.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks!!!!The cabinet is made out of 3/4 "MDF density board. Insulates real well and hold the heat inside steady. I painted it white & sealed all the edges with white silicone and used stainless steel angle for the edges and the racks. I'll figure up how much it cost, I'd say $200 in that ball park.
Jason

I'll try and get a materials list together. The turners were the most expensive part at $42 ea, I only put 2 in there for now but it will hold 3 of them and they are all wired into a series that I can unplug them from the power supply when I put the eggs in the hatching trays.

Last edited:
Quote:
No I built it off my own idea, not much to them so wan't to hard just alil bit of work and supplies.

At first I thought it was made from a refrigerator. I think that would be an idea too. I have an old one out in the barn.

That is great at 200.00. I am amazed. I paid almost that much for one of the little Styrofoam ones. Have you built a plucker? I think those are neat. What do you have around your door. Is it weather striping or rubber?

Back
Top Bottom