My New House Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ZooMummzy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm rather dejected tonight and I just needed to vent a little bit since all my family does is roll their eyes at me.

Fiona, my Partridge Silkie hen I purchased is now officially a house chicken at night and a separate pen chicken during the nice days. I have been trying to get my flock to accept her but it just isn't happening. I have literally tried everything, putting her out there at night, separate pen and letting them get used to each other, just throwing her in the run and seeing what happens.....even putting her with a group of little juvenile chickens and releasing them together. The little chickens are accepted, she is not. It's more than just not accepting, it's downright aggressive. My husband says it's because she's so beautiful that they hate her, lol. [​IMG] I can't stand to see her ripped apart by my normally docile loving chickens. I have decided enough is enough. I give up. I think she is happy with that decision because she has been sitting in my arms cooing for the past couple hours [​IMG]

It baffles my mind and has made me feel very dejected. I hate losing, lol and I so wanted her to be outside enjoying a chicken life with other chickens. Plus I already have two house chickens...my spraddled leg girls who live together now, Hope and Quincy. I keep waiting for my husband to say enough, lol but so far he hasn't.....but he has said he will not build her a separate coop and run outside...he said we are done with chicken buildings....sigh.

It's not a total loss though because I love this little girl so much. She absolutely beautiful....so much prettier and better quality than the other Silkies I purchased this year....and she is my cuddler. She is exactly what I wanted when I got Silkies!

Thank you for letting me vent!

[​IMG]

My daughter Emma and Fiona having a serious discussion....

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She is adorable! I wish I could have a house chicken.

3. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    very pretty bird! My family finally gave in and you never know what is in the house [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwww, what a pretty girl she is!! [​IMG] I just don't get it why some of them aren't accepted from the "flock". Maybe the hubby is right, she is just "too pretty" lol! My daughter says that my silkies are beauty, and very little brains! Gotta love those silkies! [​IMG]

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    she is very pretty... I agree they are picking on her because she is beautiful and they are envious of her

6. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Wonderful pics! Very pretty girls.[​IMG]

7. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    one of my observations: Chickens tend to accept "look alikes", but reject birds that look dramatically different from those in the established flock.
    I started with a RIR, Barred Rock, and Red/Brown EE. . . . when the EE turned out to be a roo and had to be rehomed, he was replaced with a yellow / Black EE who was (and still is) not well accepted by the others. I did get another, younger red/brown ee pullet, who was accepted immediatly! Fortunatly, my yellow black EE is by far the biggest of the flock, and has gained enough acceptance, over time that she is not being picked on. . . although a mean look from my Barred Rock will send her scurrying!

8. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That looks like the perfect hosue chicken to me!!!

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you for the kind words and compliments on my girls [​IMG]

My husband will be happy to know (lol if I tell him!) that he was right. It never really crossed my mind that they wouldn't accept her because she was so different looking but it makes sense. My other Silkies are more "hatchery" quality so they kind of fit in better with my mixed flock. She is totally different from anything I have. It makes me think that the Polish I so desperately want won't be accepted either....maybe it can be Fiona's house friend? [​IMG] Maybe I will have to place a small order with MPC after all! Any excuse....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by