1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new, improved coop is FINISHED! Happy Birthday to me! *pic and link

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Oct 3, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

My bday was last month and I told dh I didn't want anything but this coop. So he started it at the end of August and we put it in place today. Here's the completed coop (you can see our old prefab in the background-it is waaaay too small).
    [​IMG]
    more pics including interior ones and some in-progress pics, plus some descriptions, on my byc coop page here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=65884-new-chicken-coop

The chickens were very cautious but with some food-bribes most of them finally went in. However, one nutty australorp decided she didn't want her feet touching the evil shavings (we had sand before, and pine pellets before that) so she flew in the pop door, which freaked out all the other chickens that were in there, who all proceeded to try to fly out the windows. Failing, of course, since there are hardware cloth coverings plus glass on them. Luckily the wire is inside so they didn't touch the glass. So anyway, come dusk, no one was interested in going back in. We had already closed up the old coop and they all paced back and forth in front of the old pop door, waiting for it to magically open, like it does in the morning (thanks to dh). Finally our two EE pullets braved it and went in the big, scary, new coop. They hopped up to the roost, moved to the supports (they are used to narrower boards for a roost) and settled in. Several others peered inside but quickly went back to pacing. Once it was getting pretty dark, dh went in and put them in the coop through the pop door. It took some effort since even in the moonlight, some were still pacing. Once they were in did they get on the roost? Nope. They all piled in the corner (except for our two genius EEs). So he went in and one by one, set them on the roost. When I went to check on them a couple of hours later, they were all squeezed onto the two supports and half of the roost. Their old roost was about 5' long. This one is about 9.5' long. Our chickens are cuddlers, for sure. I sure hope they get the idea tomorrow-I'm not sure how long dh will have patience for catching chickens.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Very nice [​IMG]

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Happy Birthday [​IMG] What an awesome coop [​IMG]

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Nice job!

5. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I told my hubby I wanted a nice coop for Christmas. Yours is beautiful.

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks. [​IMG] Tonight went MUCH better. All of the girls (and the boy) went to bed on their own. It was looking a little iffy for a few minutes, with one circling the old coop for quite a while. She finally went in and we were right there to close them up so no one could change their mind. [​IMG]

7. The Driver

The Driver Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    The Lone Star State!
    Good Job!

8. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    That is a great coop. I absolutely love the idea of a cutting board for the pop door. I may do that for my coop, as it's still under construction.

9. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    Happy Birthday to you! [​IMG]

10. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I absolutely ADORE the color!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by