My new incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Dec 15, 2008.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So I ordered my a new incubator about a week ago and it still hasn't arrived. I already have my eggs and I'm really anxious to get going. What I'm wondering is how long it takes to get dialed in and be sure that it's working correctly. It's a hovabator if that helps any. Does anyone have any advice on getting started? How to speed up the process so I can get going as soon as possible? [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Generally you get the bator then the eggs, kind of like the horse then the cart? LOL,, don't worry, someone on here will have words of wisdom for you. Congrats on the new bator! What kind of Hova?

3. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:I know, that's how it was supposed to work but we've just had this big winter storm here and I'm guessing FedEx isn't quite as fast as USPS when winter strikes. The eggs came with the incubator and they shipped them the day after the incubator but somehow everything went crazy. [​IMG]

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would contact them and ask them to send new eggs.

Generally you want 3 or 4 days to get the incubator stable and reliable with temps and humidity. The eggs will be old by then. You usually want to start them as close to being layed as possible. IM not exactly sure what the statistics are but i have seen posts that say as each day passes the probability of a succesful hatch goes down.

Maybe someone else will be able to tell you that. I do know that it is a 10 day max.

I would ask them to ship new eggs so yo have the time to become comfortable with your new bator.

Let us know how it goes and good luck !! [​IMG]

5. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    People say you can wait up to 14 days to put eggs in, but after 7-10 the percentage of hatching eggs drops. I was told to keep the in a cool, but not cold place till I was ready. Hope this helps.

6. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Quote:Do you have a hen, or maybe you could "lend" a hen? Or maybe one of your friends may have an incubator? [​IMG]

I hope that helps a little. [​IMG]

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I needed a second incubator for hatching because I have eggs in the incubator with 2 different hatch dates.

I went on freecycle.com [​IMG] and asked if anyone had an incubator they wanted to give away ? I am picking up 2 older LG's from a guy tomorrow. I have to drive about a hour but it's worth it.

www.freecycle.com then enter your city and it will ask you to sign up with a password. After you do that you can make a request.

Give it a try ! [​IMG]

I thought it was a long shot but it worked for me ![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So I got my incubator and I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!! [​IMG] The temp is around 100 and the humidity is at 60. I have 30 bobwhites that I already put in. I probably put them in earlier than I should have but I thought if the eggs were going to have a better chance the earlier I put them in then I might as well. Right? [​IMG] Everything appears to be holding really well. I hope everything is ok.

9. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Good luck for a great hatch.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by