My new kiddos...(lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sara, Nov 30, 2007.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Well I guess I am officially breeding Araucana chickens. It all started with this little blue girl I hatched from Jody's eggs. I didn't even know an araucana had hatched until I finally saw her tufts.

[​IMG]
    I knew she was going to need a boyfriend. Well Jody found her a boyfriend, and 5 pullet friends. So tomorrow we have some construction work to do. We are going to divide my one coop in half so these birds can have their very own home.
    So anyway here they are..
    I've decided to name this fellow Fred. (the pictures aren't great)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And the girls..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So now I need at least one more hen of another color just to make the pen pretty! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    That rooster is heavenly!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Very pretty!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:He's actually what sealed the deal, I was looking for laying hens. When I saw his picture I just thought he was so handsome! [​IMG]

5. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Our GLW rooster's name is Fred! Hopefully he'll turn into a beauty like your Fred!

6. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Just one question. Does the little girl in the first picture have tail feathers? I was under the impression that Aracuans are rump less.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Yes my little blue girl is a tailed, tufted bird. Jody (Hinkjc) could answer that better for you as I am new to the breed. My understanding is that the standard is rumpless, but not every chick that hatches will be rumpless. A tailed hen bred to a rumpless rooster could produce rumpless babies.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  8. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    I love the way Araucana roosters look with their saddle feathers hanging down over their bums like that, so pretty! Your boy is especially handsome.

Sounds like your addiction is getting worse, though...

[​IMG]

9. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Yes my little blue girl is a tailed, tufted bird. Jody (Hinkjc) could answer that better for you as I am new to the breed. My understanding is that the standard is rumpless, but not every chick that hatches will be rumpless. A tailed hen bred to a rumpless rooster could produce rumpless babies.

interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by