My new little ones! - Wheaten Penedesencas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeremy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I picked up 5 babies today that mediazeal hatched for me, Wheaten Penedesencas. They came from gorgeous dark eggs, I'll be using the pullets as the mothers of my Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Olive Egger project. They'll be bred with my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo next spring when they all reach maturity. I wanted to share some pictures of the gorgeous little ones! Thanks again to medizeal for the pictures!

These two hatched first, last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these chicks just hatched yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the eggs they hatched from, I think they're AMAZING! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Claude, the cockerel that they'll eventually be paired with- he still has a lot of growing to do too.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking everyone, as much as I love seeing them at this age I can wait for these to reach POL, I want to start my project right now!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  2. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    AAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!! I love them! And the eggs are gorgeous, looks like milk chocolate!!!

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Cool! I have a young Wheaten Marans cockerel that I am giving to a friend with Wheaten Ameraucanas so we can make some Wheaten Olive Eggers too! Maybe we'll have to trade some eggs and make and f2 cross!

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:That would be too cool! I'm really excited about this potential project, I love colored egg layers. That and I think Wheaten birds are beautiful. I thought about using Wheaten Marans but I wanted to try another dark egg layer and see how the cross would work out. Marans seem to be everywhere nowadays. I believe a moderator here on the forum, Wynette, has used Penes for an Olive Egger cross resulting in some beautiful birds.

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    CUTE.
    Also, what set up did you do or how did you take your pictures?

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I think the photography is great, however I didn't take the pictures! The person I bought them from, medizeal here on BYC, shot the photos and sent them to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  7. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    oh ok, thanks anyways [​IMG]

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I'm sure she wouldn't mind a PM asking about her photography. [​IMG]

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I never get tired of looking at these sweet little pictures! Your babies are so cute; I don't know much about breeding but I do enjoy learing. Thanks for posting....

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:No problem! I'm having to keep myself from checking on them every 5 minutes in the brooder, it's so much harder not to just watch them in real life! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: