My new Magpie duckling has seemingly neurologic spells. :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I got my little ducklings Friday morning, and she seems to be the only one affected. Sometimes she appears totally normal, just a little wobbly. Then, periodically she has spells where she falls over and tends to roll over onto her back and flail her feet around. It's like she temporarily doesn't understand how to upright herself. When I help her up, she leans over to the right and stumbles around that way. She has to balance on the side of her beak as she is leaning. If I pick her up, she leans against my hand and acts like she cant hold herself upright.

Her legs move just fine, and she is eating and drinking. I have seen her have 3 of these spells and it really bothers me because I don't know what is wrong. She is the same size as the others, and they are warm enough to somtimes move to the cooler side of the brooder to sleep . Earlier, she was just walking around and eating with the other girls and all of a sudden she was on her side and back rolling around. I have Vi-Tal in their water and they are eating unmedicated Kent Poultry food. Does anyboyknow what could be wrong with her? What can I do? I w ill appreciate any information you can give me.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It sounds like a niacin deficiency. Try her on some poly vi sol drops, 2 drops twice a day or get some brewers yeast to sprinkle on her food.

3. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks so much! I already have some Brewers yeast in the fridge ready to go for this purpose. I'm going to do that right now.

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    good luck with your baby duck

5. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Thank you! [​IMG] I keep checking on her like every hour just to see if she is alright. I love my duckys.

I mixed up a new batch of her food, made half into wet mash, left half dry and I sprinkled liquid brewers yeast all over it. Her and the other two ducklings LOVE it! It makes the food smell like beer, but I guess they don't mind.

I mixed up a new batch this morning and they started gobbling it again. I haven't seen her have a bad spell since then, and she seems a little more steady on her feet. I have my fingers crossed that this was her problem.

How long should I supplement her with the yeast?

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Wow, that's a great response that your duckie had. I would continue for a week or so or until you haven't seen any of those signs for several days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by