1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new Mini-coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gjfarm, Sep 15, 2010.

1. gjfarm

gjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Montana
    Needed just a small 'overflow' coop. Less than $100. It is within a 10' x 10' dog kennel which has been encircled with chicken wire and my husband skirted it with concrete and chicken wire. Right now I have several of my old hens in it since the new batch of chicks got the big coop/run. They can free range all day, so they are happy:)
    [​IMG]
    After all, they are girls and deserve a "cutesty" coop.
    [​IMG]
    Nest boxes. I should have made the holes a little smaller, since even with a 2" lip they are kicking the straw out. But a 5 gal. bucket was handy for drawing the template.
    [​IMG]
    Perch. Presently using a 2"X4" board. I made wood holders for the perch so I could easily switch out to a tree branch, or 3" round perch.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Cute!

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Very nice:clap

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Cute, adorable...I give it a solid 10! Love the deco, too.

5. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Post more pics!!!

I am going to get a 10 ft kennel as well! I have a chicken tractor now but I have realized that my yard is big enough for a real pen and I wouldn't have to move a real pen.

I would like to see how the coup is situated in the kennel and what you are covering the top with. I am going to put mine under a large oak tree, that's why I decided on a kennel, 'cause I won't have to dig though tree roots.

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Very Cute. Love the browns and the butterfly. What's the inside look like?

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    SO cute! [​IMG] Would LOVE to see the inside!!

8. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    VERY NICE... I'd live there if i was a chicken...[​IMG]

9. gjfarm

gjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Montana
    Interior pictures uploaded on initial post.. The roof is some clear plexiglass I found. Will let in morning light during the winter, and will throw some shadecloth or similiar over it during the summer to break the sun if need be. It is sheltered by the barn on the west side.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by