1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new peeps are here ! Now I have a question ...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie_in_PA, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Well, my peeps arrived this morning ! They're late actually ... according to the farm, they were hatched and shipped on June 17th, I was suppose to receive them by the 18th or 19th, but didn't get them until today (the 20th). Not sure if that has anything to do with why 2 of them are dead and 3 of them are "almost gone" and then there's a couple that simply "don't look so good."

But anyway, Some of them are reddish and the rest are yellow. I remember you's telling me that the girls would be red and the boys would be white.
    They are (what you's called them) - Red Sex Linked chicks. The hen is a White Rock and the Rooster is a RIR.
    So then I'm assuming that the red ones are the girls, and the yellow ones are the boys ... right ?

Also - I ordered 3 Broilers (Cornish Giants). How can I tell them apart from the rest ? I'm selling some of the peeps soon, and I don't want to sell my Cornish Giants. SO how do I know ?

I will take pictures today sometime and post them then. But any answers to my questions ? I would appreciate any help.

2. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Here's pictures ..

Brooder (up close - this angle doesn't get the entire width of the brooder) ...
    [​IMG]

Here's the full width of the brooder. There's an "upstairs" and a "downstairs" (two levels) the peeps are in the top level...
    [​IMG]

Peeps ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peeps up close ...
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, the pullets are red and the males are white. As for the Cornish, you may have to wait until they start growing their feathers, that should give you a clearer idea of who's who. Also, the Cornish will probably grow faster than the others, as they are bred to be butchered around 8 weeks.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    All I know is that they are a bunch of cuties!!

Also, the Cornish will probably grow faster than the others, as they are bred to be butchered around 8 weeks.

Thsi is true, in a week or two they will be MUCH LARGER than the rest!​

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    Quote:Yep!
    Peace,
    Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by