my new place

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Pelican49, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hi all. It has been quite some time since I've had time to actually read and post to the BYC. I haven't had internet access at home in over a year. Yeah - I'm back. I'll try not to confuse anyone with this story.
    A few years back I was layed off from work (after 28 years). I decided to call it retirement and be done with the corporate thing. So, my daughter and SIL encourage me to buy the place across the road from them. 5 acres and a trailer in the country. OK, so I sold the house in the burbs. I found living in the sticks MUCH preferred to living in the burbs, and 5 acres! So much room. Yeah well... 5 acres wasn't nearly as much room as I'd thought once I added my dogs and cats and got my first chickens, put in a big garden, and fenced a section where we were going to get a couple goats or calves, etc etc. But hey, it was quiet, for about 8 months. Then the *#%^&^& moved into the property behind me. Where the backs of our properties join, he built a race track for himself and his Dad and Brothers to race their 3 wheelers. All day long. So much for only hearing crickets, cicadas, frogs and birds.
    Then one day my daughter & I were driving around the back roads and saw a for sale sign on a fence. The weeds were all grown up around the sign, which was rusted. The big gate was locked with lots of keep outta here signs. Couldn't see a house or anything, just a big overgrown field and what might be a berm around a pond. So we called. Well, the guy had built the "house" himself by putting together metal office buildings and then sided the whole thing. It had been for sale for 18 months, and he'd already moved out of the area, but no mortgage company or bank was going to touch it due to its nature. So he needed a buyer with cash - good luck with that - or he needed to carry part of it himself. It took some convincing, but a big chunk down did the trick, plus he dropped the price $30,000. So we'll be pen pals for 15 years.
    So... am I too old (61) to be biting off another mortgage? Probably. Do I regret this move? Not on your life.
    At the front, by the dirt road is an 11.6 acre field with a 1 acre pond - all fenced! Behind the field facing the opposite way is a 3 section hay shed (maybe chicken, turkey, guinea coop?), a wood shed (only heat source is a wood stove), a laundry building, a storage building and his shop 24' x 19', which has a concrete floor and electric. This will become our hobby/craft/sewing room and eventually maybe my apartment too. My daughter and her 2 kids have moved in with me and it's only a 2 bedroom house. LOL. But we'll manage just fine.
    Anyway... the house is in front of this row of buildings, also with its back to the road. The house sits on 5 acres with 12 fruit trees (and we have apples and pears coming out our ears and the nectarines were delicious), a big yard for the kids and a huge raised garden (40' x 34') filled with very good topsoil. It's all rock here, so this is great. He actually built the frame holding the garden dirt together out of garage door panels. Kinda clever. Where did he get all those garage door panels?, no idea. The house faces my 20 acres of woods. In total? 36.6 acres. I LOVE this place.
    Next year we'll be better prepared, we just got in here too late for this year. But we'll be having a huge garden.
    Hope I don't crash anything with this wordy, picture heavy post. And I hope I post pics correctly. Most of these were taken late winter/very early spring before I bought the place. It's much greener now.

This is the main gate. Guy was serious about nobody coming in!
    [​IMG]

This is the road in, just past my gate. On the left is the field & pond. We're thinking goats and/or pigs and/or a couple calves. Next year.
    [​IMG]

This is the little house, with storage and laundry building behind.
    [​IMG]

The hay shed, which is a good start on a coop, yes?
    [​IMG]

The huge raised garden. Considering we are on very rocky ground, this is worth the world to me. He took the darn fencing with him, but at least he didn't take the posts, I can put up new fence. And we'll have all winter to plan our garden and collect canning & freezing recipes.
    [​IMG]

past the house and yard, this is the road into the woods. There's actually a hunting cabin back there that we'll have to put to use as something.
    [​IMG]

one of my favorite spots. This is where I have my morning coffee, weather permitting.
    [​IMG]

2. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    Beautiful place. So peaceful looking. You are so lucky to find such a nice place.

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Congrats Pelican! I remember when you were kicking around the idea of moving the last time. So glad you found your heaven on earth.

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    You're living mine and my DH's dream! Only 46 so it's going to wait a bit, but then we're outta here! Nice place! Can't wait to see future pix![​IMG]

5. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We have finally agreed on a name. Very simply... 36 Acre Wood

6. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    It's gorgeous! Congratulations!

7. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Very nice place. [​IMG]

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Beautiful! [​IMG]

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Wonderful!! What a smart move you made, how awful to have dirt bikers behind your other home. Blech....

I know you will just love your new home, congratulations!!

10. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    wow...I'm jealous. Beautiful place you have. Congrats !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by