my new poor chickies! PICS

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bufforp89, Dec 29, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I went and picked up 5 little hens this afternoon and they are a sorry looking bunch! They have their beaks clipped and were with a rooster that was way to rough on them. Their backs are just starting to look bad but I know my Buff Orp roo will be gentle with them when they are added to the flock. I guess they were giving them away because they had no heat for them. I think it was more a case of everyone lost interest. When I got them home and settled they drank for like 10 mins and were at the food for like 20. Annoying they were so hungry because the guy gave me a whole bag of good pellets and a bag of cracked corn [​IMG]

They are safe now anyways and will be well cared for here until the day they die! [​IMG] With out further delay here they are! I beleive they are red stars yes??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww! *melts* So good of you to take these poor bedraggled little girls in BuffOrp! You can see how hungry they are in that picture. Wouldn't even look up for a photo op, the poor darlings! [​IMG] It's so good to know that they have finally found a loving forever home! Hope they fall head over heals in love with your roo when they get to meet him. Boy! He's going to be one busy, happy little man then! [​IMG]

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Good for you. I am glad you saved them. Thanks for sharing this story and let us know how they progress. I bet they will turn out to be beautiful birds!

4. Crittercrzy

Crittercrzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    NE Tennessee
    So happy they are with you now..can't wait to see updated pix of them in a couple weeks..

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    You did good! [​IMG]

I too adopted 7 sexlinks (5 reds and 2 blacks) a few months ago, they also had their beaks mangled [​IMG]

BEST birds ever! They are laying machines and very, very friendly and loving... Vocal, entertaining, curious, calm, alert, smart and super sweet.

I'm sure your new girls will also bring you years of happiness and loyalty [​IMG]

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    the little red hens have settled in and for the past two days the five of them have given me five big brown eggs a day. Their eggs are great, much bigger then my buff orp eggs and just about the size of my duck eggs. I love these chickens!

7. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Poor babies with mutalated beaks!Mine act hungry even if they have food still in thier bowl. they try to attack my food cup,making it look like they were starving!

8. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It never ceases to amaze me how quickly animals can forgive and forget how badly they have been abused by humans! Your new little girls sound like they very much appreciate the new home! And all of the yummy food!! [​IMG]

Keep up the good work on their rehabilitation. I bet they become your most favorite girls in the whole flock! And they're never going to forget your kindness! [​IMG]

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I had gotten some chickens with cut beaks too. It took over 6 months for them to grow back to an unnoticable level. Still not completely grown back though. But hey, good for you on the save!!! [​IMG]

10. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Such a tender Heart....

I am glad you rescued them, they will be grateful, beautiful little gals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by