my new portuguese tumblers

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by abluechipstock, Jun 8, 2011.

1. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    these guys are so tiny, they would make good house pets, can't wait to have babies! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Nice looking birds! I have been thinking about trying some of those.are they hardy for their size?

3. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. abluechipstock

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    Quote:the guy i got them from says they aren't the easiest to breed, says that they usually raise only one baby really good, he uses homers to foster a lot of his babies, they are so tiny compared to my other breeds, can't wait to have little ones from them [​IMG]

5. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    Portuguese are very hardy and extremely prolific. I usuall set up 6-8 pairs and usually end up with 7 or 8 per pair. I seperate the pairs in the summer to get ready for the fall shows. I have had up to 12 out of a single pair when I did not seperate the pairs. They are naturaly calm and are solid performers. They seem to perform better in smaller kits, 10 birds or less. I also enjoy the colors, they come in most any color you could think of. If you are planning on raising them i would suggest joining the Portuguse
    Tumbler club and study the standard. The beautiful Portuguese head is a big part of the standard.

6. abluechipstock

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    Thanks for the info, I just love these little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by