My new project (elevated coop from dog pen)

reptileink

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
I have a huge sheet of MDF that is unused from a former project...lol.

Just wondering if it would hold up versus plywood?? I could use it for the floor of my elevated coop, but not sure how hardy it is??

Last edited:
That's a shame
sad.png

Trying to make a recycled coop......lol.

Back to the drawing board.

I have a 6x6x4' old dog pen that's been sitting useless in our yard for 5+ years. I plan on making an elevated coop over it with a ramp to the inside. Hinged wall/roof, or maybe an old window to procure eggs and clean it out. Only planning on 3 hens at a time, and keeping them more for pets than egg production(which we will enjoy when they lay).

Trying to start the little ones learning about life cycles, and recycling/composting.

Here is a picture of the area. Is mulch "bad" for chickens? I plan on using shavings in place of the mulch.

28150322315677181331516.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Your neighbors are awfully close. I think you better go with a very cute urban design - and perhaps keep things below fence level.

Have you talked to your neighbors about getting chickens?
hide.gif

Not really concerned about the rear neighbors, as that's why we have the new fence(kind of troublemakers)

The house to our left are really cool, and the house to the right I feed from my smoker and beer cooler, so all good there.....lol.

Don't see why having 3 hens would cause a problem though?? Something I'm not aware of?? Loud? Smelly?

no, hens aren't loud or smelly-- especially not just 3 of them. I think the PP was saying that you stated you were going to build a coop ABOVE the dog run- and that run is nearly to the top of your privacy fence anyway-- it might be an issue for your other neighbors, because they can see it or potentially reach it. Honestly, that dog run is perfect!! But here's what I would do with it-- I'd pick out one of those adorable cute little coops out of the "small coop" section on the home page. They should be pretty cheap to build. Just put it up on silts if you want it raised. Then connect it to your dog run. I'd just make a hold in your run on which ever side you are wanting to put the coop on. You can get metal bars that slot thru your chain link to keep it from unraveling and create a small square hole-- then connect your coop to that. Either make a wire tunnel from your coop, or make a tunnel. There are great examples of tunnels in the coop section. But I think you could have a really adorable little area back there- I just wouldn't build it higher than your privacy fence. Not only that, but if your back neighbors are "trouble makers" as you stated-- what might happen if they had above access to your coop- or could see it? I would hate for them to throw things over the fence or at the coop..??? Just something to think about.

Scroll down to post # 8. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=514860&p=1
This
link shows an excellent example of a coop that took advantage of an old dog run they had. You don't need to put a hoop top over it, but if you wanted to stand up in there, it might be a wise decision. On the next page of that same post-- they have a close up picture of how they attached the hoop to the dog run. Top of the page. Something to think about.

And here's an idea.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=66725-wichita-cabin-coop
What
if you incorporated your coop on the side and used your dog run to attach somehow to the side-- but you'd have to get creative to have this kind of concept.

Or build something like this... https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=49209
This
is really small-- would not use a lot of material, save you a lot of money. Then think of a good way to attach it to the side of your dog run.

All of these would be low profile and under cover of your privacy fence. This would insure the safety of your chickens and less heart ache for you in the long run.
wink.png

I think I am going to wait till spring to get this rolling. I was going to try and get it done before winter, but I don't want to rush things.

Looking back at my original design, I am going to change it. I really don't want to cut the fence of the pen in case we ever decide to re-imagine it for something else.

This won't be our "forever home", so I would like the options of taking the whole pen with me whenever we find that "perfect place".

I am actually thinking of just building the coop along the back side of the pen, with the hinged coop roof coming just a bit over the top of the pen.

Still with a drop down ramp underneath. That way, the front half will be "open"(covered with fencing), and they could huddle under the coop in rain/bad weather if they still wanted to be outside.

I also decided to start from chicks so they can get acclimated to my 3 young children versus getting adults that might already be "stuck in their ways", going from a farm to urban setting.

Don't mind my horrible Microsoft paint designs skills, or my dead grass.....lol. Something like this is what I had in mind. Possibly paneling off the sides and rear wall for windbreak/protection. I will let them hang in the yard when we are home.

coopq.jpg

Last edited:
I think that looks like a GREAT idea! You could just put heavy tarp up with zip ties on the ends you want covered-- even over the top. There are grommet kits you can use to put the holes in the tarp so they don't rip out. But I like the idea of building the little coop to fit inside the dog run. They will be so much safer below your fence line, and if you don't want to cut up your fence, this is a great alternative. They should be safe enough in your backyard if you have that tall privacy fence all around when you are home. You could probably work on the coop in your garage over the winter? Make the coop about 24 inches off the ground- you'll get the safety from rain, etc... and then your coop can be a bit taller (and still work within the height restrictions of your fence and run) so there will be enough room to put roosts in there so they won't be sitting on the floor. Anyway, great idea!
smile.png
BTW- your 'drawing' isn't bad at all! It shows exactly what you are talking about very clearly.

Last edited:
Thanks Hawkeye
big_smile.png

I was thinking of using a tarp, but worried about predators. I know that chain link should keep out anything, but just a tarp over the top might not be safe enough.

I'd like to find a roll of chain link maybe on CL to cover the open part of the top.

I mean, we live in the city, but there has been raccoon reports this summer, and I do smell the occasional skunk(not sure if skunks are a problem), and of course the local outside cat population.

I plan on making the ramp closeable at night to keep the girls safe, but when I am not home all day I need to make sure they are protected.

I will lock the hinging top to prevent curious/troublesome kids from messing with them when I am not there. Only the roof will protrude from the top of the pen, the windows/hatch will be secured under the chain link top.

Back
Top Bottom