My new pullet is sneezing!Nobody in emergencies will reply! Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mother o' chicks72, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I bought a chicken two days ago and she has been sneezing alot. She seems pretty much okay other than that but I've heard that respiratory things are pretty bad for chickens. Is there something I can give her for that? I have her quarantined. Could it be stress related? The other girls have been picking on her and I think she was pretty close to one of her littermates who we took her away from and my four year old brother has been endlessly holding her.
    I also called the woman who sold her to us since she has a 3 month health guarantee and she said we could return her or switch her for a new one but the problem is we are already in love with this little bird. Is it within our rights to ask if she could perhaps pay for antibiotics for the chicken?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Has it been very dry and hot where you live? Does she act fine? Like drinking, eatin, ect.

3. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    No it's not very hot, I live in Portland, OR so it rarely gets hot. She has been eating and drinking but she has been sneezing kind of a lot.

4. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Oh then that's not good. Check her nose for any icky stuff. Put your ear to her back to see how she's breathing. I hope you get more help.

5. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    her nose is stuffy and her breathing is ok but she sounds stuffed up. I've heard that respiratory stuff is really bad for chickens.

6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Well hello in Portland, I live an hour north. Anyway the other day I noticed my lil bantam rir started sneezing. I took him out right away, put him in a separate little brooder, gave him fresh water with vi-tal in it and fresh food. Kept him in there over night..his sneezing stopped and all was ok. While he was sneezing he still looked good, bright eyed, alert, eating, drinking and pooping. I was lucky. Hope it works out for you. Also try not to handle him a lot and wash before and after you touch your bird.

7. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    where can i buy vi-tal? how much should I give her? do i put it in her water or down her throat? Thank you!

8. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    hello? please help soon!

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You could certainly treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic like duramycin or penicillin.

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:This. Get some Terramyacin water soluble antibiotics and put it in the water. Treat the whole flock and isolate sick birds. Practice diligent biosecurity in case it is something that can spread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by