My new puppy has an injured leg - what to do?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pbjmaker, Dec 17, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    OK so my new puppy Jack thinks he is superman and likes to leap off the couch and from the doorway to the outside (skipping the two steps between) When I say leap - I mean leap. He lands about 4-5 feet away from the couch. Pretty good for a small dog. So now he has a limp. Nothing seems out of place, swollen, or broken so I am thinking just a sprain at this point. I will moniter the leg for now.

My question is - short of making him a super cape, how do I get him to stop jumping out and down so far? I can try to keep him off the couch ( good luck - takes his job of lap dog very seriously) but he has to go out the door to go potty. I don't want him to get the idea that he needs carried everywhere. We already have a cat that thinks that. She hates touching the floor.

Here he is giving me the puppy dog eyes:
    [​IMG]

Here he is with Lily the dirty white ninja dog and my son on the offending couch:

[​IMG]

2. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I bet it's just a sprain. and he will get better at landing as he get older. be calm as you make the potty call. if he keeps up with the un-called for leap, get on to him. just a sharp no, sould do it.

my 75lb GSD mix thought he could fly across the living room, over boxs and land on the chair. he smaked into he head first, just clearing the boxs. he gets much closer now [​IMG]. the funny thing is he jump onto a 5' hay bale on a whim, so I don't blame him for thinking he could.

and your boy is very cute, just look at those eyes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by