My new puppy/partner.. and a long story of coincidences

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cara, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Finally here are some pictures of my new puppy, Moneypenny. My first Bloodhound passed in September, and she was my first mantrailing search and rescue dog. I had never considered even getting involved in SAR, but it seems to be unavoidable when you get a Bloodhound. Penny is doing her best to fill Ladybird's shoes, and was trailing at 10 weeks old. These photos are when she was 9 weeks old; now she is 4 months and growing like a weed, but cuter every day. She is the red puppy; the black and tan is her sister Annabelle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She settled in quick making friends with Ruger, my German Shorthair. This was her first day home, and the other dogs didn't want anything to do with her!

[​IMG]

This is my late friend Ladybird. I had never wanted a Bloodhound, but she and I met through some strange circumstances. I'd always wanted a dog, and my parents wouldn't have one in their home, so I finally got one when I was in college in KS. I went to the pound, and brought home a Black and Tan Coonhound. She had terrible separation anxiety so I had to take her everywhere, including to class. I went to visit a friend 100 miles away one night, and took her with me so she didn't drive my roommates crazy. We left her at his house while we went out, as nobody was going to be home, and we even called his roommate to make sure if he did come home he knew there was a dog loose in the house that might try and get out. Well we got home to find no dog and no roommate. We called him, and he had let her out because he had thought she needed the bathroom, without a leash in an unfenced yard. My friend is a cop, so he called in to see if anyone had found a stray dog. They said they'd had a call about one, but when they went to the spot where it had been spotted there was nothing there. We went there, and found her laying on the shoulder. She'd got 4 miles in under 20 minutes, and was on her way home. She was such a gentle dog she didn't even growl when we moved her. We rushed her to the hospital, but they had to put her to sleep. It broke my heart, and my roommates took me to adopt another dog. We went to the shelter, and they had a Black and Tan puppy that I purposely didn't pick out because I didn't want the heartbreak of another hound, and wanted a more trainable dog. I came home with a black lab/golden retriever puppy, now my other search dog Kodiak. A couple of days later the pound where I had got my first dog from called to say they had her. I told them it was not possible, as I had had to have her put to sleep. They were certain it was Scarlett, so I had to go there and take them the invoice from the vet as proof. Out of curiosity I had to take a look at the dog they had, and they were very similar. I was still very emotional about the loss of Scarlett, and felt like maybe I had a second chance and had to help this dog.

I went to collect her when her week was up, and found that kennel was empty. When I asked the animal control officer where she was, she told me she had died from an internal obstruction. By this point both she and I were in tears. She told me she had another dog that she had brought in last night, that wasn't pretty but she thought I would like. She brought out an enormous, very saggy Bloodhound that was a real mess. She was a puppymill cast off. The dog came up to me and rested her head on my shoulder and sighed. She rolled onto her back so I could rub her belly, and got her paw around the back of my neck so I couldn't get away. That was that, and I promised her i'd be back in a week, and i'd only managed to be houndless for 2 weeks. I was waiting for the pound to open that morning so I could get her out of that place, and we never looked back. She had heartworm, but we treated her for that, her coat grew back in, and she had more and more energy as the months went on. She was a wonderful dog, and loved everybody, but didn't know her size. She passed suddenly in September from a twisted gut, and things haven't been the same since. She was just so stubborn and funny with it, so I couldn't stay mad at her. She certainly made the most of her time here, and brought so much joy to people she met. I'm sure she's enjoying a bottomless bowl of food and a comfy sofa now.

[​IMG]

We even ended up with the puppy through strange circumstances. I wanted to rescue another one, but we couldn't find a young female Bloodhound. I contacted a breeder whose website I had seen, who had a litter due. She wrote back to say that she had lost her pregnant grump to a twisted gut also. A few days later she e-mailed me to say that the breeder that they had got their dogs from was retiring, and had a black and tan puppy and a red puppy left from her last litter. They'd lost a black and tan, and we'd lost a red, so I guess it was just meant to be!

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

3. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    What a great story, and such beautiful bloodhounds. Best of luck with her. A great search and rescue story of your own.

Mac and Lucas, CGC, TDI

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I adore bloodhounds! What beauties they all are!

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cara, what a sad but wonderfull story. I was wondering tho...is twisted gut something Blood Hounds are prone to?? I had a large, and I mean VERY LARGE Golden retriever, 120 pounds.....he never had issues with it. I just love the look of a blood hound....but I dont know anything of the breed. Are they good with Chickens??

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh they are cute - my children would absolutly LOVE a sloppy sappy eye dog like that! How are they with kids!? We've been "thinking" about getting a dog, one of these days - we have 3 acres, but still need to fence something off before we get a dog - or heck probably two so they'll have a buddy!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  7. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Yes, a twisted gut is a fairly common problem in Bloodhounds, as well as other deep chested breeds like Dobermanns, Great Danes, and Boxers. It is possible for vets to tack a dog's stomach to its side muscles to help prevent it happening, and that is 85-90% effective. We'll have it done for Penny when she is spayed, as Bloodhounds do not do too well under anaesthetic. Once a dog has twisted its gut there isn't much a vet can do to treat it. We took all of the precautions we knew of with Bird, and still don't know what caused her to bloat. They need to be fed at least twice a day so that they don't eat large quantities in one go, and they have to have their food soaked in a little water or mixed with canned food, as they have a habit of drinking a lot and the food can swell inside them. They also need to wait an hour or so before or after exercise before eating, and shouldn't drink a lot after running. It's basically the same as avoiding colic in a horse.

Bloodhounds are very sweet and friendly, but they can be too much for smaller children because of their size and clumsiness. I've never met one that would intentionally harm a person, but they don't seem to know their own size. They have a habit of turning around and knocking you over with their great big butts. Another member of the SAR group has a 7 month old Bloodhound that a woman was going to have euthanized because it knocked over her son and he cracked his head open. She had 3, 4 and 5 yr old children, and didn't look into how big the dog would get before she got it. They also can't ever be let off leash in an unfenced area, as they are bred to stick to a trail no matter what and will completely ignore you no matter how loud you shout. They are also pretty much blind once their nose is down, so they will run across roads and not even see a car coming. I'd be worried with younger children that they might forget to close a gate and the dog would get loose. They're very strong on a leash, so a smaller child would probably enjoy a smaller dog more so that they could walk it. With older kids/teenagers they would be just fine, and unlike some breeds they are not one person dogs.

Every one i've met also hated being outside in the yard. Because they're hounds they're pack animals, and love human company. They seem happiest doing what they're bred for during the day, and snoozing on the sofa at night. The slobber can be a pain indoors, especially in the summer when they shake their heads and it hits the ceiling fan.

My best advice with any breed is to find a good breeder who will let you go and visit their dogs, and just see if they are what you're looking for. If they have the best interests of their dogs at heart, they won't try and sell you a dog, and will show you their good and bad sides. Usually the ones that end up in shelters were bought as cute puppies and the owners didn't know what they were letting themselves in for. My father in law can't bear Bloodhounds as he has always had obedient dogs like Border Collies and Australian Shepherds, and a hound will soon let you know who's in charge. I just adore them, because they are so loyal and loving, and funny. If I had been gone a while, Bird would press her nose against me, take a good sniff, and sigh like she was thinking 'long time no smell.'

8. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Fabulous, and correctly detailed answer Cara, regarding bloat and torsion in some large breed dogs. And your knowledge of your Bloodhounds, as a breed and its quirks, problems and great qualities I'm sure is right on the money as well.

Thanks,
    Mac

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have a similiar story with my first dobe, he was so very special to me. I lost him about 7 years ago...have spent the time since trying to replace him with more black and tan dobes with little luck. I love my dogs but they will never be Romulus!

Im glad you found your new baby! Thanks for sharing your story.

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I know what you mean about trying to replace them Tiffany. I'd convinced myself that I wasn't trying to do that with the new puppy, until I got her home and took the loss of Bird even harder than before. I was so excited about having a part of her back, and it hit home when we got Penny that she was her own dog. Those first few weeks are hard when it sinks in that they act differently, and aren't yet as attached to you as your old dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by