My new quail babies!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Dec 13, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    7 little ones hatched lastnight. I just happened to be out when the first one hatched and got a text from dbf with a pic. Got home in time to see 3, 4, 5 and 6 hatch They're soo cute! I went from chickens, to many many chickens, then a few ducks, and now quail!

[​IMG]

1-6
    [​IMG]

#7 off on his own passed out!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwwww!!!! So cute! love that #7!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    #7 made me giggle out loud! They will be that cute for exactly a DAY before they're all grown up and sophisticated. [​IMG]

4. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    [​IMG] Awe cute cute!!! I love when they fall asleep like that!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics [​IMG]

5. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    #7's the winner, glad for the caption, I thought something was wrong with it.

6. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    nice!

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    #7 is a keeper! [​IMG]

8. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I woke up to 2 more babies! One has splay leg though. I put a little bandaid on his legs and he's doing really well. Tried a shot glass at first but he's too little! I have paper towels on the bottom of the incubator and after the first group hatched it became less textured I guess.. Will not use paper towels in the incuabator again!

Little splay legged in the front. Doing pretty good with the leg braces!
    [​IMG]

9. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I used to use paper towels but after I had several chicken chicks over the few hatches have splay leg I switched to cheese cloth, it has more of a "grip" on their little claws.

I most recently started using cheapo "rubberized shelf liner" its $1.50 for a roll so I use a piece and throw it out after the hatch to use a fresh piece on every hatch. I dont remember how long the roll is but I have cut 4 pieces of it for hatching and still have more than half the roll so I figure I could get 8+ hatches out of a $1.50 roll of it.

10. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Yea, more fuzzy butts [​IMG] ! Congrats! How many more are you expecting?

I use equine pine pellets for bedding in the brooders and they seem to do really well on that. I believe that it easier to clean too....it breaks down very nicely and go into the compost pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by