My new rabbits!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sylverfly, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I got my rabbits today 2 does and a buck I plan to breed them and use the offspring for meat rabbits next year. I may need a different buck though because I think he is a poor quality angora, I guess he was severly matted before and so his hair may grow out more. I've heard you can't use angora crosses for meat is that true? and do you think he is an angora or a cross at least. Also what breeds or crosses do you think my does are, they have to weigh at least 20lbs. The buck weighs about 12-15lb. Thanks.

does:
    Alice
    [​IMG]

Wendy
    [​IMG]

Buck
    sebastian
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    They are pretty [​IMG] .Sorry but I don't know about Angoras [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

French Angora breeder here. That buck is a poor quality, but if he has champions in his pedigree, you can use him to sire. His head is not nearly oval enough though. So unless he has a good pedigreed background, I would make him the pet.

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The does look like a new zealand white and a new zealand red.
    If thy weigh 20 pounds, then they need to go on a diet. They should weigh around 12 pounds each.
    If they are too heavey, then its hard for them to breed and properly care for their babies.

Any rabbtit breed can be used for meat. The buck looks like a pet grade Angora. He can be bred to the does for meat babies.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I would put the rabbits on a scale if you want an accurate weight...rabbits are unusually hard to eyeball because of their light skeletons. Meat rabbits can be oversized for the breed or mixed with other breeds to make them larger and faster growers, so you want to get your hands on your rabbits and feel along them to test for fitness. Unless you have a particularly boney breed (many lines of English lops and some agility breeds in particular), the spine should not feel sharp but should be rounded yet clearly felt, and you should be able to feel the ribs with nothing more than a *slight* layering of fat over them. This works for most breeds:
    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp
    Common problems with obesity include strokes in rabbits (more prone to them than most), bumblefoot, digestive issues, pregnancy issues, etc. Pregnant/lactating does are generally free fed pellets though.

The only people I personally know who eat angora meat are those who raise French angoras, and who raise them to be multi-purpose. Even though they have more to their loin than other angora breeds, you are still looking at a higher bone to meat ratio than you would find in other meat breeds. The meat is said to be very good though. Most people however, do not want to deal with the extra coat care and wool block issues that come with angoras, and even those who raise the French for eating generally only eat their culls. But, no harm in trying. I could never eat an angora myself though because they are so darn friendly! XD

Your buck looks to me to be a non-show line French or (less likely due to fur growth pattern) a mix. He looks to be a black tort, but I am the worst person ever at coat colors. Ever.

Good luck with your rabbits!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by