My "new" Redwood "Favorite Leahy" incubator. No. 624. ~Plenty of Pictures~

quintinp

Songster
9 Years
Oct 22, 2010
Southern Oklahoma
Bare with me, because there are a lot of pictures. I got a little camera happy!
big_smile.png

Here they are! I have tested this incubator, and I LOVE it, the temperature is rock solid. My electric thermometer registers the fluctuation at 99.0-99.8.

Original Mercury thermometers!

Really neat latches!

Vent holes, and wafer thermostat adjustment knobs.

Here is the fan, and I wired a 3-outlet extension cord into the incubator to plug in 3 Little Giant egg turners.

Only one of the wafer thermostats has a wafer, but the incubator still keeps a rock solid temperature.

You can see that the fan blows air towards the back, and the air blows downward, and.....

... it meets this next metal shield that directs it toward the front of the incubator. In a way the air is circulated in a circle, going from the top to the back to the bottom, to the front and back up.

It still needs a little more scrubbing.

The original heating element, and insulators.

The two wires coming from the front are the egg turning rods. You pull these rods forward, and it turns the eggs.

You may be able to see the flat piece of metal that when pulled forward, it goes underneath the eggs, and rolls the egg. (I may make a YouTube video on how these work -in action-)

This front right corner of the incubator has gotten a little banged up over the years.

By the way, can anyone out there tell me what this little metal rod is for, because I have tried using it as a rest for the lid, but it just doesn't seem to work?? I am really curious though.

Last edited:
Pretty nice incubator. I don't see a water pan in the pix. I would expect a heavy, galvanized, compartmented pan that would rest on the cleats down there above the heat. Re your final photo. I would think that if there was a screw or staple there for the hook to engage with when the lid is opened It would keep the lid from laying all the way back and resting on the wafer adjustment screws. I don't know if that would be an original part or something a former owner came up with, but I think it is a pretty good idea.

Pretty nice incubator. I don't see a water pan in the pix. I would expect a heavy, galvanized, compartmented pan that would rest on the cleats down there above the heat. Re your final photo. I would think that if there was a screw or staple there for the hook to engage with when the lid is opened It would keep the lid from laying all the way back and resting on the wafer adjustment screws. I don't know if that would be an original part or something a former owner came up with, but I think it is a pretty good idea.

I figured you'd reply back Dbcooper, but yeah, that's what I thought that rod was for.

Very cool. I like how you took so many pictures so we could really see how everything looks. It's like a little peice of history. When do you think it was made?

I have acquired one exactly like this. I haven't used it yet, as It needs the deepest of sanitizing scrubs ever thought of. The person I bought it from left eggs unattended while he went out of town and let's just say the end results were not good... I also plan to fix mine so it's able to support electric egg turners. I work outside the home, therefore I do not have time to hand turn. Have you used yours yet and any luck?

Back
Top Bottom