my new Roo, and 2 egg layer pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sjeane, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Sjeane

Sjeane Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Evans, Louisiana
    [​IMG]
    my aunt just gave me this roo. it isnt crowing yet, it wandered up to her house waaaaay back in the woods and she had been feeding it ~2 weeks, was gunna eat it until i told her i needed a little roo for my young flock. his tail feathers shine green/blueish. from looking at other pics i was thinking it may be a gold wyandotte mix or something, its legs are white/featherless btw, forgot to get those in the shot.

now for the hens, paw-n-law ordered chicks from a website, cant remember which atm. i looked through all the pic's of the breeeds they sold and i couldnt find these 2. both were in a "egg layer mixed" purchase
    [​IMG]
    couldnt get her to not move her head lol, she has feathered yellow feet,, i thought maybe a EE, but we got some white brahma's that were in there with her, could this be a brahma coloration? - BTW, her facial feathers on the sides, and under her beak stick out in all directions.

[​IMG]

no clue on this one, Both hens are 3months old. Not sure on the roo but he is the same size as my 3 month old dominiq's

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    The white and brown also looks like a rooster.

3. Sjeane

Aug 15, 2013
    Evans, Louisiana
    was a pullet order from a hatchery that sex'd when hatched, so if it is a roo it isnt supposed to be lol, the only 'alpha' that was in my coop before i brought the roo in is a 3month old black aursterlorp, and is probably double the size of the little roo i just got, when i put the roo in, the austerlorp pullet tried and flog/peck at him when he went to the food tray, as soon as the little guy flogged back she ran off lol

4. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    I love little roosters...I have an 8 week old right now that is just learning he's a rooster and he's so cute. I do think the middle pictured one you posted was missexed, just based on the long stringy feathers above the tail. those look like saddle feathers, but hopefully I'm wrong.

5. Sjeane

Aug 15, 2013
    Evans, Louisiana
    lol, if the bearded one is a male then that just means ill get to eat a rooster in a few months. i like the colors on it, but the face just looks so strange with all the stringy beardness it has going on. hopefully it will grow out of the funkyness. other than that i would just expect it to start showing more aggressive tendencies @ 3 months, it mostly just sits by itself, the red with black speckles likes to peck at it and chase it every now and again, but it is supper relaxed, will let me pick it up and hold it when i want. so far have never seen it peck one of the other chickens, when i put my little rooster in there today that was the first thing it did when any of the others got to close to where he was scratching it would run them off.

do you have pics of your little rooster up here yet? if so would love to see him :)

6. Island Chick

Island Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Puget Sound
    That white and brown one looks like a salmon faverolle to me. Those droopy saddle feathers are suspicious since that's the hen coloring but other than that pretty girly looking to me.

7. Sjeane

Aug 15, 2013
    Evans, Louisiana
    great thanks for the tip on that one, had never heard of a faverolle, just googled some pics, and OMG the salmon roos are beautiful. along with the coloring and the beard and the feathered leggings i think you are right.

8. Island Chick

Island Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Puget Sound
    With that coloring though it would be a girl. By about 3 weeks old the boys start growing black feathers. Hens stay cream colored.

9. Sjeane

Aug 15, 2013
    Evans, Louisiana
    yes, i do think it is a girl, i was just commenting @ the colorings on the salmon colored roo's i found, really makes me want to find some1 in my area with a salmon fav roo, to get some purechicks when this one is older. right now with the girls facial feathers all stringy and funky looking, its not very pretty, but she does look like alot of the young salmon fav pullets i found in pics. i think the full grown salmon fav hens are gorgeous though, definite 4-H showing material for my little brother that is still in school. Thanks so much for the information, any guess on breed of my other pullet, or my little roo?

10. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Lol, they sure can be funky looking, especially if they get oatmeal, soft food. They beard and cheek fluff will get more fluffy. Love faverolles. Most everything in my flock is bearded thanks ti the faverolles. My old rooster was the best boy. They can be a terror when they hit the teenage years, but then get settled. Just got to get thru those spring weeks where all cockerels are ninjas rapists. Fav boys mature much slower too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by