My New Rooster is Part Silkie. What Else???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreyhoundGrrrl, Dec 5, 2012.

1. GreyhoundGrrrl

GreyhoundGrrrl Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Madrid, NM
    I got a new Rooster last night that I was told was a Silkie. I didn't see any pictures before I picked him up. Once we were on our way home I thought, "Wait a minute!? He doesn't have a head poof! And his comb... this boy is a mix!" I certainly do not mind at all but I'm curious, what else is he mixed with? He has 5 toes (see photo below); his feathers are a little wirey, like a Terrier Dog, not a Persian Cat (I have heard that Silkies feel like Persian Kitties but I have not met a Silkie before so I can't speak from experience); his comb does NOT resemble a walnut in any way at all; and he has what looks like an orangish-blonde patch on the back of his neck.

I really like him, he crows a LOT so far but otherwise seems very mellow. I do think he is extremely confused. He was plucked from his sleep under a pile of very large hens (twice his size, lol!) and taken in the night and now he is somewhere new and alone. He is in quarantine right now before I introduce him to my flock.

Any guesses on this boy? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the dirty foot photo [​IMG] Just wanted to show off his many toes.

2. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I would say Cochin bantam is the other half. Whatever it is, he sure is cute!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    yeah id say part cochin to

4. GreyhoundGrrrl

May 5, 2012
    Madrid, NM
    He is definitely a Bantam, he's small, the same size as my Golden Laced Cochin Bantam Rooster (appropriately named "Tiny Rooster"). Their combs are the same size and shape too but my other Roo has a red comb. This one is black with a hint of red. And he obviously has the feathered feet, he's interesting whatever he is...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. GreyhoundGrrrl

May 5, 2012
    Madrid, NM
    Any thoughts on what kind of Cochin, he seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. Kind of ugly but in an adorable way, lol!

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he looks like a bad typed silkie

7. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    I think he might be silkie/cochin/bantam sumatra. He's cute! [​IMG]

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 just because he lacks a walnut comb doesnt mean he is not pure silike, it just means hes not show-able

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    hatchery quality silkie. This is why I always try to convince people who want to show birds not to try hatchery stock. They make good pets, but just not a good idea for shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by