My new Rooster met my dog.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well my daughters party is tomorrow and I was out shopping for a present and left my husband in charge. He had the kids to manage and to make sure the chickens were checked on. Well I came home and was trying to get the groceries in and he hollered at me from the backyard, well the chickens were gone. Well there were 3 in the coop, eventually we found 10 more chickens under a bush on the property line. That left just one missing, my rooster, my new rooster that I just got from Katy. He's about 7 months and beautiful! Well we looked and look, found nothing then I saw the feathers all around the dog house, lots of feathers. Finally my husband (thats not so dear right now) found him under a trailer but HE SURVIVED!! Yay, he's missing about a third of his tail feathers and I don't see any bleeding but I am just thankful right now. He is pretty shaken up and ran into the coop and won't let me too close and I don't want to shock him anymore. My dog is on a chain. He can get to the tree line, you would think that the chickens would have figured this out. He's a 200lb German Shepard and he is really a sweet dog it's just in his nature!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yikes! I hope he'll be ok.

3. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am sorry Katy I think what happened was that the dog was in the garage and the rooster was in "dog territory" and then Buck came out of the garage, that is where the feathers start anyways. The whole time I was looking for him all I could think about it "how am I going to tell Katy and how could I do this to another rooster, maybe it's a sign that I shouldn't have a rooster. If it's not one thing it's another I swear!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm not mad at you!! I just hope he'll be ok for you.

BTW....I like your new avatar. Tell her happy birthday!!

5. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    A 200lb german shepherd? Is it crossed with a horse!

Glad to hear your boy is still in one peice.

6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:I will definately tell her I am making all the cake and cupcakes tonight so I won't be getting much sleep til after the party! I hope he is okay also, I put him and the girls in the coop, I need to go check on them before it gets to late. When this cake comes out anyways!

I know my Buckey is big but we love him. He diets also, the vet said no table scraps!

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The chickens will not magically "learn" where his chain allows him to go and where it won't allow him to go. As a matter of fact, the dog will learn very quickly to allow himself enough chain to be able to run them down if they come close enough !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by