My new rooster seems wobbly on his legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nade0096, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Nade0096

Nade0096 New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Mansfield QC
    I just bought a ausenburg rooster at an m&r feeds sale and he seemed fine at the sale. Now we've gotten home and he seems very shaky on his legs, sits a lot while his pal hen roams. When he stands he seems to prefer his left leg. There is no apparent problems with his legs, it seems to be his balance. HELP!I'm a noobie at this breed

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How old is he? I would mix up some SaveAChick electrolytes and vitamins in water, or give him some Poultry NutriDrench 3 ml orally and make sure he takes plenty of water. He may have not had much to drink prior to you buying him. Dehydration can cause balance issues. Give him a bit of chopped egg or tuna, and add water to a small bowl of feed to create a mush.

3. Nade0096

Nade0096 New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Mansfield QC
    I've done that he doesn't seem interested. He walks around following the pullet but it's like all of a sudden he loses balance and topples over

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He might have gotten shaken up or injured on the way home. I would check his ears for any swelling which could indicate a possible ear infection. Make sure he can move both feet, legs, and wings. How old is he? Hopefully, he will drink the vitamins and electrolytes. Loss of balance may be a symptom of dehydration, coccidiosis, head injury, ear infection, or Mareks disease. Mareks usually also causes paralysis of one or both legs or wings, or the neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by