My new run

dr8goons

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
VA
Here are pics of my new run its 14 wide x 16 long. Now alls that left is putting in the door and putting the wire up and the cross beams on the roof. That should be done sat. We finally got a start on the coop last night. Were trying to finish everything by sat for the chicken swap near us. Hubby says i wouldnt be able to go and not come home with some
lol.png
he's propbley right
lau.gif

DSCF1338.jpg

DSCF1340.jpg

Nice big run! Should be room for plenty of birds.
smile.png
Ready by Saturday!? That should keep you pretty busy till then.
big_smile.png

Don't forget to bury or skirt, hardware cloth around the base of the run, so something doesn't dig under..and to stop chickens digging out. They are amazing diggers!

If you are getting birds at a chicken swap, how can you be sure your not getting egg eaters, or a bird with some other nasty habit, that somebody is trying to get rid of?

Most likely they'll be babies or younger ones if i get any older ones hubby will just have to build another run real quick
big_smile.png
. honestly i never thought of them being egg eaters or anything. Maybe i need to give that more thought im totally new to chickens i have eggs in the bator there the only babies i have so far. i've done turkeys before but not chickens.Any other advice i should consider?

I suppose a concern I might have of bringing in chickens, from another farm is the introduction of disease, and/or mites. Most birds bought from commercial hatcherys have been innoculated, and generally are mite free. I suppose you could give them a dusting to kill potential mites, and initially feed them medicated feed for a time.

When your eggs hatch, and you have raised your chicks to the size that your ready to introduce them to the other birds (that you might get from a hen swap), your run is big enough that you can build a partition to keep them seperate initially. I understand that if they can see each other for a few days before being mixed togeather there is less likely chance of a pecking order, or turf war breaking out.

I would think that any birds you get from a hen swap, should be as young as you can get them. There is less likely a chance that they have learned bad habits, (ie egg eating). As well it may make the introduction of your young birds go smoother.

Now on the other hand, (if your hubby doesn't mind building another run, and hen house
wink.png
) you could get older, ready to lay, or already laying birds, and start enjoying fresh eggs right away.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom