My new Seramas from ChickenAddict *PIC HEAVY!!*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by spookyevilone, Jan 19, 2009.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I'd originally planned to get a single pair of Seramas, to see if I could deal with having a roo in the house. ChickenAddict offered me a selection and I fell in love with one pair in particular, so today I made the trek to her place to pick them up and ogle her other birds.

I swore I was only going to get one roo. I brought a friend with and made her promise to only let me get one pair, not two pairs, and not two roos.

We successfully captured the pair I wanted by bribing them with bread. Once in hand, they were calm and super friendly. A red byre (sp?) female and a black/red/green male subsequently named Peaches and Lord Tennyson.

In the garage was the bachelor pad. One little roo was fairly manky looking, in that adolescent stage where the feathers aren't grown in enough, and his were just..weird. I held him and kept wondering what would come out the other side of his ugly duckling phase. ChickenAddict is an enabler, and long story short, I went home with two roos and a hen. Tennyson and Peaches were already in the carrier, and even though Tennyson and T'Oliver had been together up til that morning, Tennyson would not let T'Oliver in the crate, so T'Oliver rode home wrapped in a towel in the coat of my other enabler, Manda.

Peaches was named when I first saw her picture. She's a lovely peaches and cream colour that perfectly matches my cream lynx point kitties. It's not a very original name, but it's what she wanted to be called, so she's stuck with it. Tennyson got his name because he was crooning soft clucking poetry to Peaches the entire ride home, and he stands like he's a little lord of the manor. T'Oliver .. poor little ragamuffin - Oliver Twist, which became The Oliver, which became T'Oliver in short order.

Thanks again, ChickenAddict!! [​IMG] We sat here for a few hours watching their antics. One of the obnoxious quail started crowing (though he won't anymore as Manda rehomed him to her freezer) and set off both Tennyson and T'Oliver. Once the quail was gone, they both quieted down. We'll see how they settle in over the next few days, but so far they seem to be enjoying themselves.

So here they are - lots and lots of pics. If they won't load for you, they're at:
    http://www.crazyquaillady.com/Tolliver1.jpg through Tolliver4.jpg, Peaches1.jpg through Peaches8.jpg, and Tennyson1.jpg through Tennyson3.jpg.

[​IMG]
    T'Oliver sitting on Manda's shoulder.

[​IMG]
    We were trying to get him to do the Serama pose and Manda was studiously swatting his tail feathers - that's why she's making the face. He'd pose but by the time the camera clicked, he'd relaxed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Spooky

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awwww they look like they are liking their new digs!!! You are very welcome. I am glad they went to a great new home. Love the names!!! lol I am already plotting for more eggs to hatch under the broodies so by spring i will be enabling you even more muahahahaha. Thanks for taking the ragamuffin too, things are sooo quiet in the cockrel box and the remaining boys have more wiggle room. Give peaches and the boys a kiss from their former mama. [​IMG]

3. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    They seem to like the cage. Tennyson struts around showing off for the button quail and Peaches. Peaches follows him like a little shadow. They were sleeping on the perch, cuddled next to each other last night. Peaches had her head buried in his neck feathers.

T'Oliver is such a goofy little guy. I think he's a little lonely, even though he's got the quail all around him. I put plastic down on the carpet last night and let him out to walk around and he followed me like a puppy, very curious in everything I was doing. Though apparently we have to have a chat about not jumping up on the stove to investigate debris around the burners. [​IMG] He found a dead piece of macaroni and was so very pleased with himself.

That Guy came over last night and cuddled them a bit. He asked, "How big will they be when they're full grown?" [​IMG] "They are full grown. They'll get more feathers, but they won't really get any bigger." "What?! They're so LITTLE!" Yes. Yes they are.

Eggs went in the bator last night. The countdown begins..
    -Spooky

4. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    LOL everyone better stay away from my house or i'll be loading cars with roosters!!! [​IMG] T'Oliver has always been a lil spitfire and very curious. I am sure he is lonely seeing as he is used to being with the other cockrels but i'm sure in due time he will get over it or i could send a cochin pullet your way to keep him company [​IMG] See i am such an evil enabler [​IMG]

5. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    So, tonight, That Guy came over to admire the new chickies. Tolly was all "Friend? Friend! Pet me! Admire me! I am da bomb!" Chattering up a storm but not crowing. Tennyson took one look at That Guy and started crowing and crowing and CROWING. I accused That Guy of threatening my rooster's manhood. That Guy attempted to crow back at Tennyson. It was the most pathetic attempt at a crow ever heard by the ears of mortal woman. I lost it and started laughing.. and so did Tennyson. "HA ha ha ha ha! HA ha ha ha ha!" came a laugh from my roo.

Which promptly set the button quail off, so That Guy got laughed at in stereo from three species of birds at once.

Tolly jumped in his lap and settled down with a tail waggle, letting That Guy know that at least one of the birds still loved him.

-Spooky

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Love the photos!
    I'm about to try hatching out some Seramas. They are such lovely birds!

I also have 6 button quail in the bator. Hope they do okay, too [​IMG]

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Peaches is so pretty! They look really happy in their cages!! congrats! [​IMG]

8. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:I have one Serama egg in the 'bator, which is also from ChickenAddict. It's due early Feb, along with the mixed banty eggs.

Peaches hasn't started laying yet, but she's nesting a lot, so hopefully soon.. [​IMG]

-Spooky

9. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Thanks! I think so. I love her little inkdip tail [​IMG]
    -Spooky

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Won't be long for sure, the other pullets here are nesting as well and those combs are getting more red by the day [​IMG] How are the eggs doing? Have you candled them again? The serama egg is gonna be a pain in the rear to candle because its sooo small but those mixed eggs should be pretty easy to see by day 7-10. I am biting my nails waiting for day 10 on the eggs i set under the broodies...7 seramas, 8 mixed, 2 more mixed under the 3rd broody and i popped out another brooder in 2 hours [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by