My new sheep pets, lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by secuono, Oct 9, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've just added Babydoll Southdown Sheep to our farm! I have a black '10 ram, '03 ewe and a '05 ewe. I know...they are old! But we will see how they do in the spring and adjust the herd as needed. The ewes are fairly friendly, ram likes to stay at the back just in case I decide to eat them..lol, idk.
    They are so tiny, just to my knee! Dune chased them around, still does, but he's chilling out. Callie doesn't really get what the giant cotton balls are, but they don't bother her, so she is ok with them. [​IMG]
    Working out how to water them w/o Dune stomping it or drinking all the water. They are so short it's real hard to find them something w/a lot of water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. ShashwatAcres

ShashwatAcres Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    They are really cute thanks for sharing and good luck with them [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I want some! I have been studying them for years. I just need to fence my land and build a barn first.

Do you plan on using their wool? Do you spin?

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Yeah I'd love to know about the wool as well.

We need pics of a person with them or another animal. I just can't picture them only being knee high.

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have no idea how to spin wool, but was going to give it away free, just shipping to who ever wants it. My sis said she wanted to knit and such w/it, told her she would have to learn to clean and spin it.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    omg!!!! totally what i want next year ( i have been in contact with a breeder in state))) baby doll sheep are just the cutest darn sheep in the world!!!! yours are sooooo adorable!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWWWWW I've always wanted some, they are just so $$$ here. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:here too.. they are 500 dollars a peice. with a 50 dollar deposit first...

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    very sweet! love their little teddy bear faces!
    don't know how their wool is, but you can send me some and I"ll spin it up and we can find out! [​IMG]

mine are all in the 150-300 lb range, the southdowns are adorable but they're SO TINY!

we've had sheep north of 12 still lambing well, and making plenty of milk. the older ones are often excellent mothers but you will have to watch them carefully at lambing time. sometimes the older moms can't get the lamb up in the birth canal, not enough muscle tone, and need to have the lamb pulled by hand. sometimes their milk production is inadequate and you have to bottle supplement so the lambs get enough.

have you had bred ewes before?
    if you haven't, talk with your vet a BUNCH about what you'll need on hand should you need to pull a lamb in the middle of the night, or when they can't get there right away. I pulled my first lamb with my vet on the cell phone coaching me through it (he was on another emergency). having the right tools, drugs, medicines, supplies on hand really helps. let me know if you need more information, always happy to help.

(18 years experience in sheep, 5 in goats, currently about 30 head altoghether)

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Went out to get pics, not the best, but oh well. Added horsie pics because they wanted to be included, lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]