My new Silkie babies from Ideal Poultry

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Symboline, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    These babies were hatched yesterday morning, Nov 21, 2011 at Ideal Poultry. I got 4 blue and 2 buff. These are my first babies so any advice would be greatly welcomed... I have them in a 20 gal. fish tank with a hay floor and plenty of food and water.Oh and a 100 watt bulb on them. What else should I do to keep them healthy and growing?
    Trish

[​IMG][/img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/110109_tn_112111164629.jpg[/img][/img][/URL][​IMG][/img][​IMG][/img][​IMG][/img][​IMG][/img][​IMG][/img][​IMG][/img]

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    They are adoreable!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Beautiful Babies [​IMG] .

1. Just watch the tanks sides to make sure they don't get to hot.
    2. Try to find a different bedding. Chicks sometimes try to eat the hay. The strands are too long to digest and it can kill them.
    3. I always suggest adding electrolytes to chicks. You don't have to but it's just to be on the safe side.

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto! And congrats! I ordered mine from them. "Only" lost 2 [​IMG]

5. Symboline

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks guy's!!!

TinyChickenLady, How old are your silkie babies now? How long did you have the babies before they died or did they die during shipment? Guess I am asking because I am so worried about loosing my babies... Ideal is a couple hours from me so I picked mine up. They are looking healthy, guess being a new silkie mom I am really worried...
    Trish

6. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Awww... they are adorable! Such fluffy balls of cuteness!! [​IMG]

7. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    aww so cute! Best of luck w/ them [​IMG]

8. Rileysixchix

Rileysixchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. I used the deep litter method with pine shavings and make sure that they are always and completely warm. You can tell if something is wrong by their volume of chirping. Make sure plenty of clean, fresh water and food are always reachable. And you chicks are incredibly cute! If you have any other animals such as dogs or farm animals i would consider getting them used to the chicks if they will be around them. You don't want any accidents because these little birds really grow on your heart [​IMG] <3 HAVE FUN WITH THEM !!!!

9. Symboline

Oct 24, 2011
    New pictures of the babies... They will were born Nov 21. The little guy in the third picture is the only one with the red growing above the beek, is this a comb starting to grow?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. chickiechook

chickiechook New Egg

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi i just ordered some silkies from ideal poultry. I was wanting to add them to my breeder flock but i have seen a lot of bad reviews, its a little too late to cancel the order and i got 4 white silkies and 4 assorted silkies. I am really worried and i want them to be healthy and bearded like regular silkies, can someone at least give a good review that they have had. I am so nervous i have never ordered chicks before so i am freaking out[​IMG] and freaked out[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by