My New Silkie Chicks *question + pictures*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GlitterKitty, Jul 19, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Hiya! Two days ago my broody hens hatched out two chicks. For some reaons they killed one [​IMG] but then I lifted up another one and found another little baby. I didn't trust the broodies so I took the chick away and put it in a brooder. That was the only chick that hatched beside the other one [​IMG] And that little chick peeped so much, plus I read that they should have buddies [​IMG] So I found an add on craigslist for silkie chicks. So I brought two home. And I have a few questions [​IMG] First, I'm wodnering what color they are, they seem like buff and white... and there was a buffish red hen and then some white ones plus a gray one too in their pen. Second, I am wondering how old they are, I think they are 2-3 days old for the bigger chick and 1-2 days old for the smaller. Third, I know it's hard to tell genders.....but any guesses? [​IMG] And finally, they both keep shaking their heads. I have a video of it but I can't figure out my youtube password [​IMG] But they just give it a shake every once in a while.... [​IMG]

Anywho time for the pics!

First here is Emily Rose the chick that I hatched from my own chickens (for the first time EVER!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then dad, mom, and Em:
    [​IMG]

Is she gonna be red colored?

Then the silkie chick; Goldilocks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the other silkie; Lily
    [​IMG]
    She kept closing her eyes! LOL

Thanks for any help!

ETA: Here is a pic of them for coloring:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Emily Rose is ADORABLE!! I totally love the fuzzy butt pic.
    She looks like she will be reddish. I'm no expert though. All I can say is she won't be white!
    As for the silkies -- I couldn't tell gender of mine till I saw one in the nest box, and saw the rooster doing his thing with the other. The third one, I have no clue still, and she's a year old. HAven't seen her lay an egg or near the nest box or playing with the rooster.
    My silkies did do the head bob thing. It freaked me out the first few times. I was very concerned. But they never acted sick, and it was only the silkies who did it.
    Yours look like they will be buff.. and they are probably between 3 and 5 days old.
    The pictures are awesome! I can't take clear pictures with a non-moving subject, let alone a moving one!!

3. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks! I'll try not to worry then! [​IMG] I was freaking out lol. Emily seems happy to have some friends [​IMG] She is still pretty tiny compared to those two [​IMG] I named them girl names so hopefully they it will stay a girl name [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Both of yours silkies are "White" Silkies. [​IMG]
    Emily Rose is such a cutie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by