My new Silkie Chicks, what has happened?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chirpychooks, Dec 13, 2012.

1. chirpychooks

chirpychooks New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi, I have just hatched out these chicks from an all white trio of Silkies. For one of the chicks it could be a possibiltity that they got fertilised by another cockerel but for the others I do not understand why they have black spots. Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Light colored feet on the chick that you are holding indicates the probability of 'non silky' blood.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Your trio includes Silkie mixes. Having silkie type feathers does not a Silkie make. Many chickens can have silkie feathers and not be silkies. Silkies must have black skin, 5 toes per foot, top knot and feathers shanks.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you have mixed blood. that chick should look very pretty once it gets older

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Either your silkies are mixed, or one of your broodies stole an egg from another type of hen entirely. Broodies do that all the time.

6. I'm not for sure... But I kno it's cute!!!

7. chirpychooks

chirpychooks New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

I have bred silkies before and bought my breeding stock on a reasonable knowledge, but I doubted myself after what you all have said... I have checked them, and they are all perfect. All with 5 toes, all with dark legs, blue earlobes, and a top knot....

I just dont understand... Ive got cuckoo pekins nextdoor and silver laced wyandottes. All I can think is that maybe the other cockerels have jumped over?

Other than that maybe the white silkies aren't true :(

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Even a first generation cross with a pure silkie would have black skin. It's a dominant gene.

9. Silkiechick143

Silkiechick143 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Sorry to interrupt this conversation, I don't know how to start my own thread thingy. But I hav 2 silkie eggs in the incubator. Today is day 21. One pipped and peeped on the 19th day. Now it's not doing anything. I can hear its beak scrape the shell at times. But the other one hadn't done anything. I'm worried. Should I help the pipped one? I can't see the hole so idk if its rubbery or anything. Please help!!! :(

10. How many days is the one that's pipped?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by