1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my new silkies!! ladies or what?? (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fmizula, Aug 23, 2011.

1. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    do you think my new silkies are ladies or not?? i really hope they are anyways!! TOOOO many roosters already. arg.
    they are really pretty anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The white is a roo...can't tell about the partridge, a head on shot would help with that....sorry [​IMG]

3. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    what makes you think they she is a roo? just wondering how i tell. i looked at their vent and saw no bumps in there

4. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    For me, it was that big comb...you don't normally see that on the girls.

5. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Ok, so I'm not sure about that one. I will get a pic of my 15 week old partridge...I believe that she is a she...and post. Maybe you can use it to compare. Do you mind my asking where your silkies are from? Breeder quality silkies are harder to sex than hatchery. My breeder silkies are now 20 weeks old and only one has a comb....roo, the other without a comb....roo. I know this because they have crow-offs in the morning [​IMG] The one I am going to post a pic of is a hatchery chick that I got from Ideal. My kids love her so I'm not going to rehome her unless she is actually a he...

I'm leaning towards 'she' for your partridge...the comb is flatter and less bumpy.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    they are from a breeder. i was almost possitive they were ladies because i checked their vents for bumps and there werent any. i have five rooster right now and would be sooo sad.

8. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    How old are they? I don't think anyone vent sexes silkies...as they say, they just wait for them to lay or crow [​IMG]

I hope someone else chimes in, I am new to silkies...only having mine for about 15 weeks...but I'm learning rapidly. If you can tell me their age, maybe I have some about the same and I could get pics for you...

9. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I know how to sex Silkies but not hatchery type

10. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    these are not from a hatchery. i was told they are about 6 weeks old old. they have just got all feathered out. they still peep like babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by