My New Silkies! Splash and ..... Lav?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KinderKorner, Jul 3, 2010.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I drove an hour and picked up 4 hens from Muddyhorse. Thanks so much. I really enjoyed it. Beautiful birds. Also should thank rooptydoo because they were originally her birds.

I picked up 3 wonderful splash. [​IMG] So nice. My favorite. Huge crests, perfect toes, heavy foot feathering, nice type.

It's really hot here. So all of them were panting, and holding their wings out and droopy. And the poor dears are scared to death. So they aren't great pictures for sure. But I couldn't wait to show them off. Hopefully I will get some nice typy pictures soon. [​IMG]

Hen #1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hen #2

[​IMG]
    Here her tail is all tucked from trying to keep her balence.

[​IMG]
    You can see her actually standing. [​IMG]

Hen #3

[​IMG]

Hen #4
    She is not mature yet. Not sure on age. I'm thinking like 3-4 months?
    She is not like the others. Her wings are pretty loose. But I just had to have her. She has to be spilt for Lav. Or most likely she is a Lavender Splash. She is not a greyish like the others. She is nearly white, with a light blue tinge. And she has very very soft spots. But not many. What does everyone else think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next to a splash.

[​IMG]
    Coloring is way different. But she for sure has splashes on her.

Can't wait to get some eggs and chicks from these girls. [​IMG]

2. To me she just looks like a splash thats very washed out. Splash to Splash matings overtime will cause the splash pattern to wash out.

3. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Songster

Jul 4, 2009
    Hen #4 could just be a diluted splash. Hard to tell. They are nice looking birds though.

4. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I never thought of that. It's possible. Either way. I just love her coloring.

5. Kinderkorner---they all look very nice! Good group of silkies! It makes me wonder what a lav/splash crossing looks like.

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I don't believe there is a "lavender splash" color. It doesn't work the same way as the B/B/S genetics, you can only visually have lavender, no splash alternative like you can with the blues.

You can however have a visually B/B/S bird that genetically carries the lavender gene, resulting in Lav split birds (not visually lavender) but mixing the B/B/S genetics with the lavender genetics can create a mess if you aren't careful.

7. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois

8. They all look to be splash but very lovely birds !

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:You can have a Split Splash bird, that carrries the Lavender gene. Or you can have a visually Lavender bird that was sired by 2 Splash birds that both carried the Lavender gene. But you can only have either a visually Lavender or a visually Splash bird. There is no such thing as a Splash Lavender color. If you're talking genetics, yes they can carry copies of both colors but a single bird cannot express both. This is because Lavender covers Black and Blue (including Splash).

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I'm glad you like your new girls. Roopty doo got a lot of her stock from Bobbi Porto and Bren. she told me the birds could carry lav. cross her with a good black roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by