My new Silkies!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lurky, Oct 6, 2007.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    So i just got home with them. They are a little dirty because the woman said they like to play under the cars. It was dark when we got home so we set up our brooder cage for the night. Its pretty big and they will get out in the morning. DH named the light buff 'bandit' because she was the hardest to catch. They will be 19 weeks old tomorrow. When do silkies start laying? I heard later than the others, but anyone remember the ages the silkies start? Oh and BTW.....got my second egg today. It was a little bigger than the first one. I thought it was fun before.......this just keeps getting better.

Here are some pics. I didn;t wanna bug them much.....it was a 2 hour drive and i am sure they were a little nervous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine stared at about 5 months old. Shower types can take up to 7 or 8 months!

Must go buy buff silkies!

3. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Oh, BTW.....I wanted to share this, but forgot til i saw Arans posts tonight. The lady that i got the silkies from Has a Baby monitor to hear her chickens in their house at night. So if anything got in there, you might still have a loss, but you might prevent loss too. I thought it was a great idea and dont remember seeing it on here so i thought i'd mention it.

Wendy

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Congrads lurky, I've been looking for silikes and have had no luck. So I'm setting up an incubator and going to try my luck at hatching.

They are very very cute.

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    They are beautiful. My buff silkie eggs from Jody should hatch at the end of this week. I can't wait.

jackie

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:That is awesome!!! I cant wait to see pictures. My new silkies want to get in with my EE bantams soooo bad. Its funny because the 2 buffs behave the same....more curiuos, and the 2 white act shy and more mellow. But they seem happy. I am sure its a little hard to be plunked into a new life like this. Here is a pic of them today out flirting with the bantams.

[​IMG]

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Lurkey,
    You are definately serious about your birds...they look happy! Where did you go to get the bantams?

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thanks Cheryl...I got the EE bantams from mypetchicken. i paid extra to have them sexed but ended up with 2 of 6 being Roos. so now i only have 3 because i had to give away 2 girls to go with the one roo. I'll keep the other. He is a good boy too.

9. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    You finally got your slilkies before the snow flies!! Congtats and they are cute!

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops! I meant where did you get your bantams? As for My Pet Chicken, I think two of the five I ordered "sexed females" are also roos! At 3 weeks on Tuesday, I think I need to wait a bit more. I am brand new at chickens, everything I know I've found out on this site!!! But the answers I'm getting, including "sharpening up the knife" do not look promising! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by