My new small holding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stylus46, Mar 12, 2008.

1. stylus46

stylus46 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Middlesbrough, UK
    after expanding my flock the people who live next door are starting to get a little upset with the hens in the back garden so i decided to look for some land. This came in the form of a Small Holding of 1/8 acre in size that i am renting off the local goverment for £61 a year thats $123 here are a few photos. I intend on working on the site starting this weekend including building a new coop

I will keep you informed on my progress

Stylus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Oh good for you and your chickens ! I'm sure they will be very happy ! How far away is your house from it ? Hopefully not too far , that would kinda be a bummer if you couldn't see them whenever you want .[​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    That's gonna be nice!

I can't wait until we can get moved out to Arkansas...we'll have 33 acres to expand our "poultry madness"...Are we there, yet?

Dawn

4. stylus46

Dec 4, 2007
    Middlesbrough, UK
    well its been a long weekend managed to get it cleared! found a shed at the bottom that had previously had chickens in it pic below

[​IMG]
    Site now fully cleared
    [​IMG]
    My partner working hard
    [​IMG]
    the old coop

Stylus

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hey, with a little work, that shed will make a great chicken coop again. That looks like a nice little plot to work on.

Does your local government lease out these plots to be used for agricultural use, gardens, farm animals, etc., by local residents who dont have enough room in their yards?
    Some communities here have gardens where people can have a small plot to grow veggies, etc.

Chel

6. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Wow! Congrats on your acquisition. Some people might look at it as a mess, but I see a very promising endeavor! You have a great opportunity ahead! Best wishes for it.

7. stylus46

Dec 4, 2007
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Just thought i would do a little update i ordered aload of fence posts and pig wire (cheaper than chicken wire)

[​IMG]

so we started putting the fence up but go snowed off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where the gate is going to be big enough to get wheelbarrow through
    something i learnt from my other run

[​IMG]

PS i rescued 45 battery hens last weekend it was awful but hopefully they are going to love the new run

Stylus

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Nice job you have going there. That little building will be a wonderful little coop! Good job!

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I think it's so important to maintain our agricultural skills especially in an urban environment. My maternal grandfather had a small holding similar to yours in Dundee in the 1960's and he maintained a city garden and had 3 hens in a little potting shed with one side totally made of reclaimed windows. You brought back some nice memories- thanks!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by