My New Splash Cochins

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Dec 5, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Today, we went to the WA Feather Fancier Winter Brisk, which was essentially a poultry show with a corner for swaps and sales. I am so happy today because we acquired 3 new Cochin bantam pullets, 2 splash and 1 blue, and I'm so thrilled and excited about it, I just have to show these girls off.

[​IMG]
    I fell in love the moment I laid eyes on them. They were hatched this spring, so they are about 7-8 months old.

[​IMG]
    For their first night at home, we're leaving them in a dog's crate in our living room. We're going to set up their outdoor separation coop, which joins the main coop, so that everyone can make their introductions, and nobody gets hurt. We plan to leave them isolated during their transition for about 1 week.

[​IMG]
    The 2 splash girls look like twins. We've decided to name them Dottie and Dashie. And the blue girl, we're calling "Blue Bell", cos she's blue and shaped like a round bell. And she's as sweet as one too.

[​IMG]
    Even though this is only the first evening, and the first few hours we're spending together, the Cochins have already secured a place in our hearts. They hopped onto our laps, and ate from our hands, this is remarkable, since it is such a trusting thing to do, and they barely even know us. I love Cochins because they are so keen to be loved by humans.

[​IMG]
    She has beautiful blue lacing in her feathers, a sweet face, and a mellow personality. The DH picked her out amongst several blue pullets and had a connection with her from the get go.

[​IMG]
    One of the new splash girls wanted to stay on the DH's lap, he was loving on her, and she just lapped it up. She's so sweet.

[​IMG]
    Blue Bell

[​IMG]
    We've barely spent enough time with them, so I can't tell them apart yet. But they are just darlings. I really love this breed.

[​IMG]
    DH loving on the cochin girls

[​IMG]
    And of course, here to welcome the girls were our resident fursons, Airedale terriers, Kimi and Rummy. The boys were very excited to sniff out new chicken smells. These are new girlies, and we made sure the fursons were calm, before we made the introduction. And because the dogs were calm, the chickens picked up their energy, and they were calm too.

[​IMG]
    The Cochins came right up to the metal door, inches away from the doggies noses. They had a good hard look at each other. And all is well. I hope this will be a great start to new loves for the new addition to our flock/pack.

[​IMG]
    Rummy looking happily at the Cochins.

The next few days will be crucial, in teaching the birds to accept the dogs, and for the dogs to accept these new birds. This time is different from the others, because it is the first time we're getting grown up birds, not hatched chicks. The dogs have not watched them grow up, and are unfamiliar with their scent or behaviors. The same thing for the chickies, not sure if they've ever seen dogs. This is going to be a challenge, but the most important thing for us to remember is, the DH and I are the bosses around here, we call the shots, and will be enforcing order and rules, and making sure the dogs understand their boundaries. Very soon, the new chickies will be added to the free range flock as part of the main flock, and the dogs are to protect everyone.

Will give updates as we go along. As far as I'm concerned, I'm a happy woman tonight. I love these birds so much already.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cute little fluff balls! They should be laying.

Do you have a blue or black roo to keep them company?

3. sheilawagner

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Hi Mahonri,

I do have 2 blue cockerels, and I know they are going to faint from desire and happiness. However, I'm not sure about breeding. I probably will let Smokey have a go, and I may just choose to incubate the eggs, and see what we get, just for the fun and love of it. I love my birds, and it is kinda fun to see their offspring, and see how beautiful they are going to be. But we'll see. Don't know yet.

[​IMG]
    Smokey at 3 months of age. He is my favorite Cochin cockerel. Very calm, mellow, handsome and gentle with the hens and chicks.
    [​IMG]
    Smokey's closeup. I love this boy to bits.

My 2nd blue Cochin bantam cockerel, Ashley.
    [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Both beautiful roos... I'd probably use Ashley out of the two.

5. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    beautiful birds! Thanks for showing!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Lovely gals!

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

wow..these are so awesome...they are beautiful! I LOVE cochins and your three look exactly like mine...I also got three girls about 5 months old..2 splash and 1 blue...and my blue girl is also the sweetest..thanks for sharing they are awesome.
    [​IMG]

8. sheilawagner

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    hi Dwegg,

You're absolutely right, your trio of cochin gals, looks exactly like mine. What a coincidence. I'm sure yours has already started laying. Mine are still too stressed from moving, so they haven't laid yet.

Actually, I regret just getting 3. I should have gotten one more blue, equal it out. 2 splash and 2 blues. Cochins are like potato chips, 1 get 1, and u always want more. They are very addictive indeed. I love having so many around.

I was very happy with my trip to the winter brisk, cos I also met 2 other breeders. One of them breeds great quality large fowl cochins and brahmas, and the other breeds Speckled Sussex. This upcoming year, I plan to get all these breeds. Get some LF cochins and brahmas and a flock of SS too. More, more and more... oh dear me..

9. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Awesome birds!!!! Don't you just love them? I'll have to confess.....once you get started it's hard to stop.

10. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Beautiful Birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by