my new waterer!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BlueBetween, Jul 4, 2011.

1. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    [​IMG]

Parts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works great! Just had to bonk the poor chicken's beaks on the water nipple and they picked it right up [​IMG] We are making a smaller one to put inside the coop too.

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Wow! That looks brilliant! [​IMG] How much does it hold?

3. BlueBetween

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    I don't know! just enough that it's not too heavy to carry. It's 6 inches diameter by probably 2 feet tall? and look, it matches my coop! LOL - it came that color [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Cool. Can you give us a short description of how you made it and the sizes/names of the pvc? Thanks!

5. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    That's really a good idea

6. BlueBetween

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    all from lowes, plus the nipple from the online farm supply store.

6 inch pvc sewer pipe, 6 inch caps, chain, hook, primer, glue and a drill.

Here's the one we made for inside, just finished it - this one used a shelf and a velcro strap instead of a chain, since there was no room for a chain:

[​IMG]

7. BlueBetween

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    oh, and a bead of silicon around the top of the white cap too, because it leaked there.

so just drill your hole in one cap, insert the nipple according to directions where you bought them, prime your cap and end of pipe, and then glue the cap and end and insert. Drill your holes in the top end of the pipe so your chain can fit through, like this:

[​IMG]

and when it's all dry, fill and hang on your hook! Really simple, except for the initial leaking and frustration finding the right drill size, etc.

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] Thanks! Looks great and pretty simple. I'm gonna have to try it.

9. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    That looks so much better than the 7 gallon plastic waterer I bought. It is suppose to only release the water as it needs to fill to a certain point. But I come back an hour later and it's empty. I know it goes by water pressure but I can't figure out how to get the 7 gallon bottle to create a suction enough not to pour out in a hour. SO WAS NOT WORTH $50.00. I really prefer the aluminum better.

10. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Looks very nice. I've been trying to think of a new watering setup, perhaps i'll give this a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by