My new watering device

Looks great. How many chickens do you have?

I'm trying to figure out a system for my 5 hens, but I don't want something so big that the water sits in there long enough to get contaminated. I'm not sure what the magic number is. Big so I don't have to fill it a lot, but small enough that the water is fresh..........

That's a very creative idea. I have been looking for info about the water nipples. Havent found any info about how they work for cold climates and if they freeze? Any idea?

Thanks!

....I have had no freezing problems with my large waterer. The electric pond de-icer inside the waterer keeps the water at a constant 62-65 degrees. I experienced -15 freezing temps this winter...nipples did not freeze.
I mix raw apple cider vinegar (with mother) in the water. No problems with slimy water.
I keep the waterer inside my chicken house...which keeps the water cooler in summer.
If you want a smaller waterer, consider using a water container that you can buy from a local grocery store...the 5 gallon type. It will have a handy handle that you can adapt to a bracket to hang from a side-wall...or you could hang it from wherever you need it to hang. Think outside the box! Aint no rules in tending chickens.

Back
Top Bottom