My new website

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matt A NC, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I just finished my new website. Well one of the drafts. I think this is the one I will stick with for now. I lost count on how many times I changed it. It took awhile to get used to the site builders querks. I would have rather found a place to upload a finished product, but NO, everyone wants you use their useless site builder.

Anyways, I would like some Honest opinions.

http://foothillspoultry.weebly.com/

Thanks,
    Matt

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok you asked for honest opinions - In my opinion, the black background and different colored words makes it seem less professional than it can, which in total contrast with the awesome pictures you have there! I would go with a tan background and black letters all in the same font and size.

[​IMG] I have also been critiqing my hubbys work site. [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The background stripes mess with you.... Other than that its nice... A lot better than mine.

4. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Thanks for the comments. I tried to keep it fairly simple and to the point.

I removed some odd colored text, but did not do any major changes. I did add a quick contact page with my email address. Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. When I am selling 4-8 week old pullet chicks(future layers) in the spring I may add my cell number, but for now the email address should be plenty.

Matt

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You advertise blue, black and splash ameraucanas, however, with your set up you will not produce any splash birds. It says a black cock over black hens and a black cock over blue and a splash hen. The results will be either blue or black chicks.

Also the blue hens I see in the picture are not show quality because of clumps of dark feathers.

6. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    pips&peeps :

You advertise blue, black and splash ameraucanas, however, with your set up you will not produce any splash birds. It says a black cock over black hens and a black cock over blue and a splash hen. The results will be either blue or black chicks.

Also the blue hens I see in the picture are not show quality because of clumps of dark feathers.

The second group will have a blue cock, not black. [​IMG] Fixed. That will give a 25% chance of splash with the blue girls.

When fixing that I found another typo that was missed.

I am not and will not advertise the Ameraucanas as Show quality. In fact if/when I sell anything from them, I am going to list them as a new flock that is a work in progress. I try to be as honest as possible when advertising. It is a new flock and I don't know what they will produce, so I may not sell anything from them next year. I need to hatch from them first and then grow them out. Takes time, but I don't want to rip anyone off.

The splash pullet may not even be there by then. With her yellow bottomed feet she may be moving to the laying flock for breeding season. The eggs from that flock are sold as eating eggs.

Thanks,
    Matt​

7. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    I liked it ... and your birds are beautiful! The only "red flag" was the amercaunas ... because I have read/heard so much about the purebred vs easter egger controversy (not controversy, really, because they either are or they are not purebred) maybe a little disclaimer would help? Or a short paragraph discussing this?

Laura

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Your sentence on the homepage kind of infers you have show quality cochins and ameraucanas, anyway that's the way I understood it when I read it. Maybe make it into two sentences and it will be clearer.

We raise Show Quality Blue and Black Cochins, Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas(2010), and Will be adding Black Australorps for 2011.

Use the blues you have now for improving the line, but I would recommend that you move them to a laying flock if you can hatch replacement pullets that do not have the splashes of black on any feathers.​

9. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    pips&peeps :

Your sentence on the homepage kind of infers you have show quality cochins and ameraucanas, anyway that's the way I understood it when I read it. Maybe make it into two sentences and it will be clearer.

I thought might have been the problem, so I already fixed it. Thanks. Most of the ameraucana flock may be replaced next year if I can get the stock I want in the spring. I have a deal in the works, just waiting to see if it works out. That will set me back a couple years, but at least I will be starting with great stock. Do it right or don't do it.

Matt​

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

For your contact me page you may want to try this.
    http://www.emailmeform.com/
    Its free an helps with spam an give people a simple way to contact you right from there browser.
    This is what mine looks like.
    http://www.emailmeform.com/fid.php?formid=383318
    You also may want to do your phone number in photo shop an post it in to your text as a picture. You can make it look like its part of the text but computer Bots cant harvest the number as easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by