My new White Dorkings!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NHDoc, May 30, 2009.

1. NHDoc

NHDoc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Picked up my new White Dorking hatchlings today! Now we just need to finish the coop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    [​IMG]
    They are so cute. Where did you get them? I have been searching for options besides hatchery birds.
    Nancy

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm so jealous! Dorkings are one of my favs... especially the whites. Please post pics when they're older! [​IMG]

4. ConnorMayasMom

ConnorMayasMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Old Chatham, NY
    We just got 2 silver grey dorkings...their history is cool..dating back to Roman times. They are considered a rare breed. Great picture![​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ginny Chicken

Ginny Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Richmond,KY
    They are so pretty.[​IMG]

6. NHDoc

NHDoc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I got them at Yellow House Farm in New Hampshire. Their website is www.yellowhousefarmnh.com

They have a great little farm, specializing in preserving rare breeds. I went to their chicken husbandry class, which was great.

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Cool hatchery! But unfortunately their Dorkings don't appear to have the awesome trait that makes Dorkings so... awesome. They're supposed to have moderately short legs with a really long back, and when they walk they look like submarines scooting across the ground. [​IMG]

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:Could be because they have this statement on their site:

We specialize in rare heritage breeds that are excellent for homesteading. In our breeding programs, we breed to the Standard, emphasizing production qualities first and more superficial show qualities second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by