My newborn silkies are getting upside down heads!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huckleberryfarm, Nov 30, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I have 12 few-day old silkies. Everyone was fine until this morning. One of them has an upside-down head. His head looks up when it should be down. I'll pick it up and put the head right. He doesn't cry like it hurts but he can't keep it that way. Now tonight, I have another one starting it. What's going on? I can splint spraddle leg. Can you splint a neck and head? My kids are freaking out. It's a bit disturbing to see!

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I haven't had it here, but it sounds like they may have wry neck. Do a search on that and in the meantime start giving them poly-visol infant vitamins (NO IRON) a couple of times a day. Best of luck!

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Could you post some pics?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like wry neck, normally presents a little later, but possible in very young. Vitamin E is the main vitamin you need to give, you can get the gel caps from Wal etc.. pinch a hole in one and drip in mouth, give 1/2 small gel cap for that size chick. It will take a few days to a week to pass, continue the E for a few days past them looking normal to prevent relapse. Also give the poly -vi sol or Poultry nutri drench vitamins. Scrambled eggs and things easy for them to grab helps keep their strength up. Keep water dishes shallow so they don't drown. Best Wishes

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks! I bought some Polyvisol this morning and gave it to the two. One seems better anyway today. We'll see how it goes. Which is better: vitamin E or the polyvisol or both?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    why not PM BatCave Silkies, she raises Silkies and shows them too I bet she can give you some good information

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I *think* that the usuall treatment involves the polyvisol and vit E and maybe one more vit. Not completely sure, but lots of threads on it if you want to do a search. Glad they look a bit better.

8. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Now my lav silkie babies are starting to hang their heads! Is this something genetic? The really bad one whose head faced straight up when he was standing seems a little better. But not great. This is frustrating! They can't walk when their heads are facing the wrong way. ARGH!

9. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Quote:It's not something you can splint, unfortunately, and silkies are really susceptible. It's from a vitamin deficiency.
    Seems like they're all getting wry neck. The common treatment people here suggest is Vit E with Selenium, given at frequent intervals. The oil caps are fine, broken & applied inside the beak.Also everyone uses PolyViSol infant drops (without iron) . All these things can be gotten at a drug or grocery store. Vets seem to often recommend soluble B vitamins as well.

Don't forget that if your birds will not take the Vit E drops internally, you can apply the oil caps to the skin of their head & neck & it will transfer subcutaneously, to give them some E nourishment.
    This is somewhat quicker than digestion, so you might want to do this for today, although it makes them look simply awful [​IMG] It could save them.

I've treated wry neck once, in a Belgian D'Anver chick, and I failed after a week, but many other people have succeeded. I didn't find specifics in my search for dosages, but you should look for them here and there are some Youtube videos of people treating wry neck.

You should isolate all your wry guys together, keep them warm, and use rolled towels or cloth as bolsters to limit movement & keep them from falling. You may have to hand feed or dropper feed them while they convalesce. They won't bbe able to swallow right upside down & may choke.

Best wishes & [​IMG]

10. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have silkies and have a trick I use to treat it... it has worked 99% of the time with wry neck.

A lot of time wry neck/crook neck is caused by trauma (being startled, external parasites, heat, watching too many Pauley Shore movies)and it causes their neck muscles to spasm. I slowly massage the chick's neck up & down gently for two minutes . I do this every couple hours and by the 2nd or third day, they are back to "normal."

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by