My newest additions have arrived(pics)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mustangluvrjen, Feb 26, 2014.

1. mustangluvrjen

mustangluvrjen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    South Cakilaki
    So this was my first attempt incubating quail. Naturally when I set 22 eggs in the bator the weather decided to go bi-polar(no offense to those who may suffer from bi-polar). I candled on the 8th day and was left w/ 18 viable. Then ice-storm rolls in causing temp and humidity fluctuations so I had to monitor it closely. Then like two days after ice storm it was up in the 60-70's. Candle before lockdown and had 14 viable. So into lockdown they go. Mother nature than decided to have t-storms due to a low pressure which caused a spike in humidity during lockdown... My humidity was at 85% I had that sickening feeling that they had drowned. Well I lucked out. I had 9 hatch out of the 14 that were left. 4 showed no signs of pips and one piped on narrow end but never made it.

So without further delay here is my bunch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]They love their rabbit pelt bed.

1 person likes this.
  2. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    They're so cute! I'm glad you still hatched some. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. They're crazy fast little guys once they find their balance, just thought I'd mention that because their easy to drop sometimes.

3. mustangluvrjen

Dec 1, 2010
    South Cakilaki
    Ya my daughter got a good laugh at me trying to chase them around the incubator as I went to move them to the brooder.

4. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Awww! What kind are they? I just hatched some jumbo Pharaohs and they look like bumble bees! More like bumble bee popcorn!

5. mustangluvrjen

Dec 1, 2010
    South Cakilaki
    These are Chinese painted button quail. I believe I have silvers, a couple of whites, normal color and one tuxedo... I think I don't really know colors all that well. How are your Pharaohs?

6. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Quite cute, but really popping around. :) I set 40 eggs, got a hatch of 16 and had to cull 3 for deformities. :( I'm ordering some A & M's from James Marie this week.

Buttons are SO CUTE! My kids are begging me for a few to keep in their rooms. I may give in. I'm addicted to the little buggers now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by