My newest additions-Japanese Bantams update-I have more questions

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by michellelei1, Sep 12, 2009.

1. michellelei1

michellelei1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I just got these two today. I have a few questions. I don't know how old they are but the white one with black tail looks young to me. We got them from a woman that has over 40 of them. They are unable to care for them like they did so she needs to find homes for all of them. Her coop wasnt bad or anything, shavings looked fresh and food was fresh but there were two dead chickens in there(looked newly dead to me). I don't know if they were trampled or what.

I have these ones in quarantine. But how long should I keep them in quarantine? I gave them both a bath and blow dried them(they were a bit dirty, they loved it) and rubbed their legs with VetRx for mites. I didn't see anything on the legs but on the black one, on one leg the scales were a little raised. I was told they are both female. What do you think? What more should I be doing to make sure they are healthy? I don't know anything about the quality of them either. thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions.

Update:

I think they may have chicken lice. What do they look like? My son says he saw a white little bug(not a worm). What should I use to treat? And what should I use to worm them? I don't want to overload them with all kinds of medications. Also, I heard that apple cidar vinegar is used for some things. What does everyone recommend? The black one sounds a bit congested and I've been using VetRx. What else should I do? They appear to be well besides that. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Most of us here quarantine for 3-4 weeks. They look really healthy though and beautiful. If the scales on the legs were raised she may have scaly leg mites; and I saw where you treated them with VetRx; vaseline coatings on the legs at night works great too. You will love the Jap banties they are very gentle and make great broodies ![​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Very Pretty! Yep, Q them for at least 3 weeks, more if you are able. I would worm them also, once they've settled in, just in case. I love the Mottled Japs....... [​IMG]

4. michellelei1

michellelei1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I update with a few more questions. Sorry for so many questions. This is the first time I've gotten chickens that I haven't raised from birth myself. I don't want my other babies getting sick. Thanks everyone![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by