My newest additions...

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by shchinchillas, Sep 26, 2010.

1. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Came home with these guys today, enjoy. 1 cock and 3 hens. They are roughly 3/4 years old. I can't remember if he said they've had 1 or 2 breeding seasons.

Cock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Nice blackshoulders ,one hen looks like she is a bs pied.

3. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Pretty [​IMG]

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Is it just me or is that blackshoulder male dark looking? Maybe it is just the lighting but for some reason he looks sorta like a midnight...

They are really pretty! I like the first picture a lot.

5. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:that crossed my mind as well

6. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    You are actually right... He is supposed to be a midnight BS, and the pictures actually lightened his head/neck up quite a bit.

Now I did see some debate on what exactly a midnight BS should look like, but he looks exactly like what other sites and people claim to be Midnight BS (threads on here, amyspeacockparadise, Legg's sight, and D&M). I did see one person who says they should look differently, however haven't seen anything come of it...so for now we're considering him a Midnight BS.

Either way I got him and the hens at an awesome price [​IMG]. The place where we got him also has a trio of bronze-- if only I had the money to add on another pen right now!

Deerman- Are you thinking the hen that is showing a lot more white then the others to be a pied? I wondered that myself about her. I do have a blue Pied here I can put her with, and then cross the offspring back into this male to play around and see if she is indeed pied. Should I give it a shot next breeding season?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Okay well he really does look like a midnight. When I look at a picture of a midnight bird, what I look for that helps tell the difference between a midnight and a blackshoulder is the back feathers. On your bird they look more dark green and more yellowish. That is atleast how I identify midnights, not sure if it is a good way or not...

He really is beautiful I hope you can get some good chicks out of them!

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    To find out she is a BS pied , just check area of all white feathers, if those are all white feather yes she is a pied.

I would just breed her to the midnight bs , heck he could even be split pied, and she maybe midnight too.

9. kokopelli_7

kokopelli_7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    a crazy house in Texas
    Really pretty!

10. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    They're beautiful and they look healthy, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by