1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My newest brooder/broody coop/ Boys boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by guinea fowl galore, Nov 11, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Well I've needed a new brooder/broody coop as well as some boy boxes. I have two wardrobe shelve things that got ripped out during house renovations. So I decided to put them to use.
    I'm not finished it yet, Theres still a door to put on one of the boy boxes. That should be done today so I'll post another photo then.

Please excuse the messy shed and hay everywhere.

[​IMG]

The brooder side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two boy boxes. ( With my next project to the top right [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

I'm going to put it on stumps with the other shelf/cupboard ( more boy boxes ) on top and with proper iron roofing.

So, what do you all think?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Neato! Now I know what boy boxes look like.

3. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Nice!! How do the boy boxes work? Do you have to put them in each night? Or do they learn and go in on their own and you just close the door? I want a roo so bad...to get fluffy butts anytime. But my DH says "NO!!" because of the noise. Do they really stay quieter in the boy boxes?

I have my 7th grader's biology teacher talked into hatching eggs (as long as her department head approves) in the Spring. I am hoping we will have one roo that is "quiter" than the others that we can keep. [​IMG]

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

The brooders are Great!!!! What do you do with a boy box? LOL
    [​IMG]

5. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:At first I'm going to have to put them in each night. A few might learn to jump/fly in themselves but i'm not going to hold my breath [​IMG] . The roosters all have coops that they live in so i'll just put them all to bed each night and then put them back in their coops at day.

I haven't put any holes or windows in the boxes to keep it more sealed (quieter) but i'm hoping enough air will come in through the gaps around the door. I guess we'll find out [​IMG]

6. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    I'll be waiting to hear. Fingers crossed for you...and me! [​IMG]:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by