My newest broody sounds like a dinosaur....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nuttyredhead, Feb 15, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Oh my! Everytime I go near her she makes this noise that is more than a growl. She sounds like on of the dinosaurs from the movie Jurasic Park, the small ones that attacked the man after he crashed the jeep, lol.....

Here she is!
    [​IMG]

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Load it up on YouTube so we can all hear it! [​IMG]

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    LOL, my broody girl makes a screech when i get near her too... then i pet her on her head and she calms down some...

the one on the left... (took this pic yesterday)

[​IMG]

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Very Pretty Hen!

Im not sure to let my broody keep her egg (she is sitting on 2) or not. Seeing how fierce she is, she might make a great Mama. But I still have Mama and 5 chicks in the big cage, how will she take it if I move in another Mama and 2 babys in 3 weeks?

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:She sure sounds like a great mama! Why not leave her where she is and see how it goes hatching in with the flock? I've had some do so, and all my chicks have been in with the flock within a few days. The only hen that ever attacked her chicks was the mama, and they may have been dead when she did, I don't know.

Just mark the eggs -- and wear heavy gloves when you check under her for more eggs each day! Sounds like she's be a mean packer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by