My newest chick - What do you think?Serama,serama/polish cross?Color?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 19hhbelgian, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I hatched out this chick right after christmas. He is either a serama or a polish/serama cross (I thought the egg was white, but no prominent hat, and sometimes my seramas lay pretty light tan eggs - if you don't look real close, they could get mixed up). For right now my birds are all in the big coop, where it's warmer, but the chicks I have been hatching, have been pure (easy enough to tell when a polish hatches [​IMG]). I only have serama and polish roos anymore. I can't decide if it is a small hat or just poofy down. He also has interesting markings. A deep red stripe on the top of his head, and same color stripes at other spots on his body. Any guesses on color? Dark blue or grey? He's not black... I can tell you that much [​IMG] Here he is...

Day old: Looks like a slight top hat?
    [​IMG]

3 days: Side view
    [​IMG]

Tonight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: I think I wound up putting this in the wrong category... I wanted to share pics, then I asked questions, so it should've went in the ? Breed/gender category - Feel free to move it - Sorry!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    I have no idea what he is but I love the photos....especially that first one with his/her "wide stance"!! Just a precious chick!!

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    cutie pie!!!

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Funny, when I looked at these photos... my foot started thumping

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I can't provide much in the way of guesses, but my goodness that's a darling chick! [​IMG] Such a little cutie!

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Oh my lord- STOP IT----STOP THE CUTENESS!!!
    The first photo is cute overload for sure!!!!!!!!!!! (I have no idea as to your questions)

7. 19hhbelgian

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:???? Am I letting something go right over my head? I MUST know what you mean! I'm going [​IMG]

Thanks for the comments! I just adore "him" - he will jump into my hand when I go to take him out of the brooder box [​IMG] I am keeping him/her whether he is a cross or not... Actually, I'd love to have a serama type chicken with a top hat!

8. srodems

srodems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Ben Lomond, CA
    Every time I look at pictures like this I think of how I can expand my coop and run....so cute!

9. 19hhbelgian

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:Expanding your coop/run is SO easy [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Someday, the good lord willing, DH and I will be done building our home...and when we do, I'll have this huge, lovely pantry/laundry room/ all purpose room where I'll be able to house an incubator and a brooding box. And when I do.....LOOK OUT!!! Serrin is going on an all out mid winter hatching spree!! [​IMG] And I'm gonna have little fuzzies comin' outta my ears I tell ya!! Just a comin' outta my ever loving EARS!! [​IMG] Gawds! I can hardly wait.....

But that doesn't help you one little stinkin' bit on your question, now does it? [​IMG] Oh well....I'm not useless by accident ya know! [​IMG] Sorry.... This is what chick cuteness overload does to me! It just gets me as silly as my girls at a newly discovered ants nest! [​IMG]

No matter what "he" turns out to be, right now "he" is just about the cutest thing I've seen all day! [​IMG] Yup! Definite cuteness overload going on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by